Crunchy Fried Shrimp Balls that are so tasty until the last bite! Enjoy this Cantonese dim sum as a great appetizer or side to your favorite dish.
These fried shrimp balls are just begging to be munched on every time I make them. Only a few are left come dinner time because my family will snatch a piece or two while I make a batch. This just shows you how delicious they are!
Why go to a dim sum restaurant if you can make them at home? With just simple ingredients and a couple of minutes cooking, you’ll be feasting on these golden brown crunchy shrimp balls. Put on those aprons and let’s get cracking!
Why this recipe works?
Note on some ingredients
How to make
This shrimp balls recipe yields 12 pieces of golf ball sized golden treats. If you like shrimps as much we do, I suggest making a bigger batch!
To make, start by blending the peeled and deveined shrimps in a mini food processor. You can also use frozen shrimps for this recipe thawed in room temperature.
Place all seasoning in a large bowl and mix in the shrimp paste until fully incorporated and let sit for at least 5 mins for the flavors to seep in.
While waiting, cut up the spring roll wrapper into small pieces or strips. Shape the shrimp paste into small balls (1″ to 1 1/2″ diameter) then roll them on a bed of wrapper strips. In a wok or pot, deep fry making sure the ball are submerged until golden. There you have it! Easy peasy!
How to serve and store
Tips for an amiable experience
You may also like
Fried Shrimp Balls
- 500 gram shrimps (peeled and deveined)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (or potato starch)
- 10-12 spring roll wrappers
- Place shrimps in a mini food processor and blend until it forms into a paste.500 gram shrimps
- In a mixing bowl, mix together, salt, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch.1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp ground white pepper, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp oyster sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Tip in the shrimp paste into the bowl with sesonings and mix to fully incorporate. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stack 5-6 wrappers then fold. Cut the spring roll wrappers using a pair of scissors into tiny strips.10-12 spring roll wrappers
- Mold the shrimp mixture into a ball then wrap with a hand-full of wrapper strips until shrimp ball is covered. Repeat process with the remaining shrimp mixture.
- Heat 2 cups vegetable oil in a small pot over medium high that can fir at least 3 shrimp balls. Fry the shrimp balls in batches for 4 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer cooked shrimp balls in a plate lined with paper towels. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!