Sweet Chili Sauce
This homemade Sweet Chili sauce is a flavor booster! A sweet and spicy condiment made from chilies, garlic, and sugar. Learn how to make within 10 minutes, and with just a few pantry ingredients!
Filipinos are well acquainted with dipping sauces, and a peek at their cupboards will prove it. Sweet chili sauce is a favorite at get-togethers because it elevates the overall taste of the dishes. Each mouthful dipped in this gives a pleasant kick and a sweetness you will enjoy!
A dipping sauce that is super delicious with shrimp, chicken wings, fried tofu, or any of your favorite dishes. It’s similar to a Thai sweet chili sauce recipe, except it’s easier to make and takes a few minutes to put together. Try this homemade sauce before buying the bottled ones in supermarkets with preservatives.
What Is Sweet Chili Sauce?
This versatile sauce is a classic condiment used extensively in Asian cuisine, especially in Thailand and Vietnam. It’s locally known as nam chim kai in Thailand that also works as a marinade for grilling. It’s mainly peppers, chili, garlic, sugar, and vinegar which you simmer in water until it thickens.
In the Philippines, sweet chili sauce is one of the choices to dip lumpiang shanghai or Filipino spring rolls and kikiam. Neighboring Asian countries enjoy it as a condiment for fried shrimp balls, stir-fries, egg rolls and fried noodles.
Why Is Homemade Better?
Most will agree that homemade is better because you know what goes into the dish. If that’s not enough to persuade you into making it at home, here are other reasons why:
Notes On Ingredients
The ingredients are already probably in you pantry! If not, a quick trip to an Asian grocery store near you will help you find this ingredients.
How To Serve And Store
You May Also Like
Sweet Chili Sauce
- 3 pcs. long red chili
- 1 pc. red Thai chili
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp constarch
- 1 tbsp water
- Place chilies and garlic in a food processor or blender and pulse until spices are cut into small bits and pieces.3 pcs. long red chili, 1 pc. red Thai chili, 3 cloves garlic
- In a saucepan or pot, place the blended chilis and garlic, cook-stir for 2-3 mins over low to medium heat.
- Add water, vinegar, sugar, and salt and stir to incorporate. Bring to a boil then simmer for 3-4 minutes.1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water then gradually add into the saucepan with chili mixture.1 tbsp constarch, 1 tbsp water
- Cook for 5 minutes while stirring until sauce thickens. Do not overcook and remove pan from heat. Sauce will become more thick as it cools down. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!