Everlasting also known as Marikina meatloaf is a flavorful and vibrant dish. Serve on special occasions or a festive dining table alongside traditional Filipino dishes.
Whether it’s Christmas, New Year’s Eve, or local festivals, Everlasting is a delightful addition to the holiday table. Its savory and hearty flavors complement the festive atmosphere, making it a dish that brings people together.
Remember, you can always indulge in Marikina’s everlasting meatloaf. But, serving them on special occasions add an extra layer of significance to this iconic dish. Every bite of this Filipino-style meatloaf is a journey of delightful flavors.
What is Everlasting Meatloaf made of?
What makes everlasting so special? It’s not just the combination of ground meat, tomato sauce and eggs, but the meticulous selection of ingredients and the blend of flavors. The secret lies in the perfect harmony of savory and sweet, with a touch of smokiness that sets it apart from your regular meatloaf recipes. And the best part? It’s surprisingly easy to make!
History of Marikina’s Everlasting
Marikina has long been known for its skilled craftsmen, and this artisanal spirit extends to its culinary prowess. Much like the city’s finely crafted shoes, everlasting is a product of attention to detail and a commitment to quality.
The name “Everlasting” is said to reflect the enduring nature of the dish. Passed down from one generation to the next, becoming a constant presence on Marikina’s dining tables. The name not only hints at the longevity of the dish but also emphasizes its everlasting popularity among locals.
Is Marikina Everlasting different from Lucban’s Hardinera?
In summary, both Marikina-style meatloaf and Lucban Hardinera are Filipino meatloaf dishes that are cooked in llaneras or oval-shaped tin molds. They differ in terms of geographical origin, ingredients like ground pork vs. diced pork, flavor profiles, and presentation styles. Each dish reflects the culinary diversity and cultural richness of the regions from which they originate.
Notes on Ingredients
How to Serve and Store
You Might Also Like
Marikina Everlasting Recipe
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 400 grams ground pork
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 medium carrot (chopped)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/4 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 pcs hotdogs (chopped)
- 1/4 cup pickle relish (chopped)
- 1/4 cup pineapple (chopped)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cheese (grated )
- 2 medium eggs (beaten)
- 1 strip green bell pepper
- 1 strip red bell pepper
- 1 boiled egg (halved lenght-wise)
- 1 pc pineapple ring (cut in half)
- 2 pcs carrot florets
- 1 pc cherry (halved)
- 1/2 hotdog (halved length-wise)
- Run a 12 X 12 inch banana leaf over fire to wilt. Cut banana leaf into 2 oval shapes that will fit the bottom of the tin molds
- Place the cut-out banana leaf at the bottom of the llaneras and brush with butter or oil.
- Decorate the prepared llaneras with boiled egg slices, pineapple slices, bell pepper strips, hotdog, cherry, and carrot florets on top of the banana leaves. Set aside.1 strip green bell pepper, 1 strip red bell pepper, 1 boiled egg, 1 pc pineapple ring, 2 pcs carrot florets, 1 pc cherry, 1/2 hotdog
- In a wide pan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until translucent and fragrant.3 cloves garlic, 3 tbsp cooking oil, 1 medium onion
- Add ground pork, breaking apart with the back of the spoon, for about 2 to 4 and cook until browned .400 grams ground pork
- Tip in salt, pepper, tomato sauce, chopped carrots, bell peppers, pickle relish, hotdogs, pineapple, and raisins.1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground pepper, 1 medium carrot, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, 1/4 red bell pepper, 1/4 green bell pepper, 4 pcs hotdogs, 1/4 cup pickle relish, 1/4 cup pineapple, 1/4 cup raisins
- Mix well to distribute ingredients and simmer for additional 15-20 minutes all until liquid evaporates. Remove pan from heat and let it completely cool down.
- Once meat mixture is cool. Add cheese and beaten eggs then stir to fully incorporate.1/4 cup cheese, 2 medium eggs
- Transfer the meat mixture using a spoon into the 2 decorated llaneras evenly. Gently pushed down with the back of spoon to pack and flatten the top. Cover molds with aluminum foil.
- Arrange molds in a steamer and cover with a lid. Steam for 30-40 minutes.
- Carefully remove from heat and allow to rest and set for 10-15 minutes.
- Invert meatloaf on a serving platter and peel banana leaf off. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!