Baked Mussels (Cheesy Baked Tahong)
Baked Mussels recipe turns mussels into a tasty dish and will make everyone happy as a clam!
Cheesy baked tahong with cream cheese and mozzarella baked to golden brown perfection to spice up any meal.
There are so many ways to cook mussels like my moules marinière French recipe and tinolang tahong of the Filipinos. Baked mussels on the other hand gives other seafood dishes a run for their money!
Creamy, garlicky and molten cheese stuffed mussels that are the perfect appetizer for any meal. You’ll be surprise why such and easy seafood recipe can be so full of flavor!
Picking the right mussels…
When making baked tahong and your on the fence whether to use fresh mussels or half-shelled frozen mussels, don’t worry, either will work great.
Using frozen mussels is convenient especially if they come in half-shells. I highly suggest though that you thaw and boil the mussels before baking. Boiling the mussels will make them moist and will not dry up and shrink when baked.
If you prefer fresh mussels, here are some checklist to guide you when buying:
Make sure to buy live mussels, shells should be closed tightly. If you find mussels with open shells, gently tap them on the counter, wait a minute, and see if they close.
Discard any mussels that don’t close, or those with chipped or broken shells.
Another way of checking is submerged mussels in water. If they do not open up, it means they’re dead.
Fresh mussels should smell like sea air and the ocean, in other words, fresh. If they smell too fishy don’t buy them.
Cleaning and preparing fresh mussels
To remove sand and grit from mussels, soak them in cold water with salt for 15 – 20 minutes.
Remove and discard the beard before cooking. Grab beard and firmly pull away from the shell to remove them.
Using a stiff brush, clean the outside shell in running water and remove barnacles with a paring knife.
Remove the top shell by carefully inserting a knife between the lips of the shell and gently twist to open. Pull away top shell.
Ingredients for Cheesy Baked Mussels
- Mussels – You can buy frozen green mussels in the frozen section of groceries and fresh mussels can be bought at fishmongers near you.
- Cheese – Mozzarella, Cheddar Cheese or Parmesan Cheese are some that you can try and see which suits you best.
- Butter – Melt butter with garlic in a microwave is the easiest way to make the butter garlic mixture. You can also make it by melting the butter in a small pot over low heat then add garlic.
- Fresh Parsley – Is not just great as granish but give dishes a fresher, stronger flavor and sort of tastes like celery.
Some tips for an amiable experience
Do not over-bake to avoid the mussels from becoming rubbery and shrinking.
To remove the top shell easier for fresh mussels, you can boil them first. Cool them down a bit and just pull the top shell.
What goes well with bake mussels?
Here are some suggestions on what you can pair with baked mussels.
- French fries
- Garlic bread
- Toasted baguette
- Choice of pasta dish
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You may also like…
Seafood Salpicao recipe is a seafood medley in oyster sauce. It mainly consist of shrimps, mussels and squid.
Inihaw na pusit or grilled stuffed squids are a true delicacy! Tender and tasty squids either chargrilled or cooked in the oven.
Aligue seafood pasta is what comes to mind when deciding what I should prepare for quick and easy pasta dish. This creamy and tasty dish really brings out the essence of the seafood ingredients.
Be prepared to be blown away with this easy yet delicious baked mussel recipe! Adieu, MIA
Baked Mussels (Cheesy Baked Tahong)
- 800 grams or 24 pcs. Mussels (frozen)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced or use 1 tbsp. powdered garlic)
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup mozzarella (grated)
- In a medium-big pot with enough water add the mussels and boil for about 5 to 10 mins.
- After boiling completely drain water then arrange the mussels in baking try with parchment paper. Pre- heat oven in 180°C/356°F
- In a small bowl add the butter and garlic then microwave for 3-4 minutes or until the butter is melted. If you don’t have microwave you can melt the butter and garlic in a pot over a stove-top. Set aside!
- In another small bowl cream the cream cheese until creamy. Set aside.
- Pour ½ tsp of butter-garlic mixture into mussels then top or spread ½ tsp of cream cheese on top. Sprinkle some grated mozzarella cheese then bake in pre heated oven about 20-30 mins or until little bit golden brown.
If starting this recipe from frozen do I boil them first or thaw them out then boil?
From frozen, thaw them first in room temperature then boil. Hope this helps and enjoy!