Chicken Asado is a Filipino dish I enjoy eating. Just like chicken adobo, it’s a dish you can have for either lunch or dinner. The Filipino asado recipe originally uses pork as the main protein but other meats may also be used. I used chicken thigh legs but you may use other chicken pieces. It tastes even better the following day, that’s why my husband loves to take it for a packed lunch. Juicy and flavorful, this Asado recipe is perfect any weeknight dinner.
Filipino asado is one of those dishes that has many variations depending on the province. Each one has a different way of cooking the dish. One variation that I am familiar with is the one that was shared with me by my brother. This chicken stew recipe has been in rotation for my weekly menu. My family can’t get enough of this dish. It is best served with steamed rice.
If you are a busy person, this can be a quick idea for your family’s lunch or dinner. The recipe calls for little preparation and most ingredients are probably readily available in your kitchen. What makes Chicken Asado really desirable is its diverse taste that combines sweet, sour, and salty flavors. It’s also rich in potassium and carbohydrates.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Chicken Asado
- I used chicken thigh legs but you may use other chicken pieces.
- 1 kilo chicken thigh legs separate thigh from drumstick
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 lemon extract juice
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 200 gr canned tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pc bay leaf
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 large potato sliced
- In a bowl, combine chicken, lemon extract, soy sauce. Marinate for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. After marinating drain chicken and reserve marinade.
- Heat oil in a skillet or wide pan over high heat. Add potatoes and cook until lightly browned and cooked through. With a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Keep warm. Put in the chicken pieces and fry until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Using same pan, lower heat and remove excess oil from pan except for 2 tablespoons. Saute garlic and onion until soft. Add the fried chickens and pour in tomato sauce, reserved marinate, sliced potato, salt, pepper, sugar and bay leaf.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes or when potato slices are soft. Taste and adjust seasoning according to preference. Remove from heat and serve. Bon Appetit!