Sarciadong isda is a simple dish that delivers awesome flavors! Golden brown, fried fish cooked in an amazing sauce of tomatoes, egg, and fish sauce.
This recipe for sarciadong isda is so quick and easy making it great for weeknight dinner. This fish recipe can also make use of left-over fried fish turning it into a new tasty dish. I for one will not pass on the opportunity to dig into this delicious Filipino dish.
What is “sarciado”?
Sarciado or sarsiado translates to “cook with thick sauce” which is exactly what this fish dish is all about. Sarciadong isda is basically fried fish cooked in thick sauce made up of fresh tomatoes, beaten eggs, fish sauce and pantry staple ingredients like salt, onion and garlic.
What fish to use?
Dorade or gilt headed bream is my go to fish because it is meaty and has rich, succulent flavor. It’s also what I use when making paksiw na isda. You can use any kind of fish that you prefer whether whole fish or fish fillet and here are some suggestions.
Other fishes that you can also try depending on availability or preference are maya-maya, golden pompano, and cod.
This recipe is so simple that the ingredients for the sauce are easily available in groceries or probably in your pantry already.
Do I need to dredge fish in flour?
This sarciadong isda recipe does not require the fish to be dredge in all purpose flour. It’s really up to you especially if you’re using fish fillet. Dredging the fish in flour before frying helps avoid fish skin sticking to the hot pan.
How to serve and store
Tips for an amiable experience
For frying fish
- 4 whole dorade (cleaned and gut removed)
- 1 tablespoon salt for seasoning fish
- 2/3 cup cooking oil for frying
For making sauce
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 large tomatoes (quartered)
- 5 medium eggs (beaten)
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- salt for seasoning
- Wash the fish in running water and pat dry with paper towels. Evenly rub salt on sides of fish. Set aside4 whole dorade, 1 tablespoon salt for seasoning fish
- Heat oil over medium heat and fry fish until golden brown or 4-5 minutes each side.2/3 cup cooking oil for frying
- Remove the fish from the frying pan and place in a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, heat about 3 tbsp of cooking oil from frying the fish .
- Sauté the garlic and onion until translucent then add and cook tomatoes until wilted and juicy.2 cloves garlic, 1 medium onion, 3 large tomatoes
- Pour the beaten eggs gradually and evenly into the pan. Once it curdles stir to incorporate ingredients.5 medium eggs
- Add the fish sauce and water then stir. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes in low heat.3 tbsp fish sauce, 2/3 cup water
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt if needed.salt for seasoning
- Tip in fried fish and gently stir to mix in with the sauce. Simmer for additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer in a serving plate then serve while warm. Bon appetit!