Crunchy Chicharon Bulaklak is a Filipino appetizer or pulutan made from ruffled fat. A popular dish that is deep-fried until golden brown and served with spiced vinegar that so delicious!
Chicharon bulaklak is a dish we have been craving for some time now. It’s been years since we had a chance to taste it, but guess who got lucky? I chance upon a couple kilos of pork mesentery in the butcher shop and just couldn’t pass on the opportunity.
As much as we love this like lechon kawali, which is also deep-fried meat dish, do consume in moderation. Balancing our love of food with exercise is something to keep in mind.
Which pork part is chicharon bulaklak?
It is pork mesentery or actually a tissue that connects the pork intestines to it’s abdominal wall. It’s also called ruffled fat due to its ruffled edges and overall appearance.
It can be a bit challenging to find chicharon bulaklak if you live abroad. Best chance is try at the frozen section of Asian stores near you or ask your friendly butcher if they can source out some for you.
How to clean ruffled fat
To my great relief and appreciation, the ruffled fat was already cleaned when I bought them. But here are some extra steps that you can do in this chicharon bulaklak recipe.
Ways to deep fry
There are several ways to cook this pork crackling or ruffled fat chicharon dish.
How to make the spicy vinegar dipping sauce?
To fully enjoy this chicharon recipe, an amazing dipping sauce of spicy vinegar is needed. The following dipping sauce ingredients are what you need. Mix everything in a small bowl until incorporated.
How to serve and store
Tips for an amiable experience
You may also like
Bopis or pulutok – A spicy dish made of pork lungs, pork heart, chilis, and carrots.
Tokwa’t Baboy – Made with boiled pork cuts, tofu cubes fried to perfection and then poured over with a sauce mixture of vinegar, soy sauce, onions, and chili peppers.
- 2 kilos ruffle fat (pork mesentery)
- 6 cups water
- 1 bulb garlic (halved)
- 4 tbsp salt
- 3-4 cups vegetable oil
- Clean ruffled fat buy rubbing with salt and vinegar to remove slimy film and pungent odor. Wash thoroughly in running water to wash away the salt.
- Arrange ruffled fat in a large cooking pot than add water, salt, halved garlic bulb, and pepper. Boil for 45 minutes or until ruffled fat until soft and tender.
- Remove from pot and drain excess water from ruffled fat. Air dry on a cooling rack and completely cool down in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cooking pot over high heat. Take chilled ruffle fat from the refrigerator.
- When oil is hot turn down heat to medium and carefully place the ruffled fat in the pot and deep fry until texture is crisp and golden brown.
- Remove from from pot and transfer in a plate lined with paper towel. Serve while warm and enjoy. Bon appetit!