Filipino Cheese Rolls, with soft, fluffy bread rolls and oozing cheese filling, are a delightful treat that will leave you craving for more. So, gather your ingredients and let’s make these classic Filipino bakery bread.
If you are a cheese lover and you find yourself craving a heavenly combination of soft bread and gooey cheese, then this soft and fluffy cheese Rolls recipe is for you. Delicious rolls with golden crust, glistening with melted butter and sugar on top with oozing cheese filling, Filipino Cheese Rolls are simply irresistible.
What are Filipino Cheese Rolls?
Imagine taking a bite into a soft, pillowy roll, only to discover a glorious eruption of melty, gooey cheese. That’s the magic of Filipino Cheese Rolls! It’s essentially bread brushed with butter then sprinkled with sugar with a savory cheese filling, creating a harmonious blend of textures and flavors.
Creating your own batch is almost similar to making ensaymada which is also a Filipino favorite. The combination of the bread’s pillowy softness and the melty cheese filling makes it one of the most popular bread sold at bakeries and cafes. Whether you’re looking for a satisfying snack, or a comforting treat to indulge in, these baked goodies are the answer.
Notes On Some Ingredients
How To Make Cheese Rolls
These are a popular baked treat in the Philippines that are so easy to make. They are made by encasing cheese sticks inside a soft and slightly sweet bread dough.
The bread dough is typically made using simple ingredients like flour, sugar, salt, yeast, milk, water, butter, and eggs. It is prepared by mixing and kneading the ingredients together until a smooth and elastic dough is formed. The dough is then allowed to rise until it doubles in size, resulting in a light and fluffy texture.
Once the dough has risen, it is cut into smaller smaller dough that is flattened. Cheese stick filling is then placed on the flatten dough. The dough is then rolled tightly into a log to seal the filling inside. These pieces are placed on a baking tray, allowed to rise again, and then baked in a preheated oven until they turn golden brown and the cheese filling becomes melty and delicious.
How To Serve And Store
You May Also Like
FIlipino Cheese Rolls
- 5 grams active dry yeast
- 10 grams white granulated sugar
- 50 ml warm water
- 500 grams bread flour
- 8 grams salt
- 1 large egg
- 40 grams sugar
- 150 ml hot water
- 40 grams unsalted butter (cut into cubes)
- 16 cheddar cheese sticks
- softened butter (for brushing)
- granulated sugar (sprinkle)
- Mix in warm water and sugar in a small bowl then add active dry yeast and stir. Set aside for 5 minutes to bloom or until foam forms.5 grams active dry yeast, 10 grams white granulated sugar, 50 ml warm water
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the bread flour, sugar, and salt. Add egg, activated yeast then mix using a stand mixer with hook attachment over medium speed.500 grams bread flour, 8 grams salt, 40 grams sugar, 1 large egg
- While mixing, add hot water and cubed butter. Knead for 8-10 minutes or until soft and elastic dough forms.150 ml hot water, 40 grams unsalted butter
- Form dough into a ball and transfer in a well-oiled bowl. Coat dough with a small amount of vegetable oil then cover with plastic wrap.
- Rest dough for 30 minutes – 1 hour or until double in size.
- After dough has doubled in size, lightly press to release air and then transfer dough to a lightly-floured flat surface
- Cut into smaller pieces, each one weighing approximately 50 grams. Shape pieces of dough into balls.
- Take a piece of dough and, using a rolling pin, flatten a piece into about 4×4-inch square.
- Place a cheese stick on one side and roll towards the end tucking the sides in to fully enclose it within the dough. Repeat with the remaining dough.16 cheddar cheese sticks
- Arrange the rolls in a baking pan lined with parchment paper leaving enough spaces in between. Cover with a kitchen towel and let them rise 30 minutes or until they double in size. Preheat oven at 150°C.
- When rolls have doubled in size. Brush rolls with milk then bake at 150°C for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and let them cool a bit. Brush each one with softened butter and sprinkle with sugar. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!softened butter, granulated sugar