Ginataang Mackerel is an easy Filipino recipe comes together in under thirty minutes. After a week of eating pork and chicken, we wanted to have fish for a change. Last Friday’s trip to the market, I went directly to the fishmonger to get me some mackerel! The Atlantic Mackerel is one of the most consumed fish worldwide and a great source of fatty acid omega 3.
This version of ginataan is simple to prepare. The result is a rich and creamy dish and best served with warm rice. Ginataan translates to cooking that has coconut milk in it. Coconut milk or “Gata” is one of the many popular ingredients used in the Philippines. Aside from fish, you can also cook vegetables in coconut milk like my Ginataang Kalabasa.
This is a simple dish that can be eaten for lunch or dinner. Made of fresh mackerel, coconut milk, and some chili to give it some oomph! This budget-friendly recipe is simple and straightforward. It only takes less than 30 minutes to complete the entire dish. This recipe is a great option if you want a break from pork and chicken. Healthy yet insanely delicious!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Ginataang Mackerel
- If fresh mackerel is not readily available. You can also use Canned Mackerel in brine
- 1 kilo or 3 pieces large mackerel cleaned and remove innards and gills
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 thumb sized ginger cut in strips
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pc red chili
- 1 pc green chili
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Wash mackerel and cut each fish in 3 parts. Rub some salt and set aside.
- Heat oil in a cooking pot over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, and ginger until garlic browns and onion softens.
- Pour coconut milk into the cooking pot. Add red chili pepper, fish sauce and ground black pepper. Stir. Cover the pot and bring to boil for approximately 5 minutes. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper.
- Lower heat and add mackerel. Stir and cover the pot and let simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- When the mackerel is cooked. remove from heat and transfer to a serving plate. Serve and enjoy! Bon Appetit!