Apple crumble is a classic fruit dessert that is an absolute crowd-pleaser. Apple filling laced with cinnamon and crumbly top with vanilla ice cream!
My family and I like it best warm out of the oven. Beautifully bake crumbly topping and bit of sappy juice from the apple filling. But you know what they say, “to each their own”. You can eat it either warm or cold, but never ever forget the vanilla ice cream!
The best variety of apple for the job?
Ok, this is open for debate, but I personally like the Granny Smith variety simply because of its delicious tart flavor and pleasing crunch. Golden Delicious apples are also a perfect pick for any recipe. Sweet and mellow, this crisp apple has a tender golden skin, and its flesh stays white after slicing for longer than other apple varieties.
How to make Apple Crumble
There are two major processes in making apple crumble. First is preparing the fruit filling. Peel and remove the core of the apples and slice into cubes. In a bowl, add the apple slices, brown sugar, cinnamon powder, and flour. Toss until apple slices are coated with the other ingredients. Set aside.
To make the crumble topping, mix flour, salt, brown sugar, and butter cubes. Using your fingers or a fork, work the butter into the dry ingredients until large, heavy crumbs are formed.
Transfer the apple filling into a greased baking dish (10in x 6.5in x 2.5in) and spread evenly at the bottom. Scatter the crumble topping evenly over the fruit mixture, leaving large clumps intact. Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F or 180°C for 40-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool a bit and serve.
Tips for Apple Crumble
- For an easier way to prepare this crumble, leave the apples unpeeled and slice thinly. Since the apples are thinly sliced, the skin cooks and softens enough so that it’s barely noticeable.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You might also like:
For the apple filling
- 6 pcs granny smith (green apples) peeled and cut into cubes
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
For the crumble
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup or 100 grams cold unsalted butter cut in cubes
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven at 180°C/350°F and prepare a baking dish greased with butter.
Making the apple filling
- Peel and remove the core of the apples. Cut into cubes and place in a bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon and mix with a spatula to coat the apples.
- Transfer to the baking dish and spread into an even layer.
Making the crumble
- In a different bowl, throw in the flour, brown sugar, and salt.
- Mix until well combined.
- Tip in the cubed butter and using your fingers or a fork, work the butter into the dry ingredients until large, heavy crumbs are formed.
- Place the crumble on top of the apple filling in an even layer.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until topping is golden and firm.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream. Bon Appetit!