This Chicken Inasal recipe is easy yet delivers bold flavors! Chicken marinated in vinegar, calamansi and spices then grilled to perfection. Oh, and don’t forget the chicken oil!
If you’re on a quest for a unique grilled chicken recipe, look no further than the vibrant streets of the Philippines. Nestled within the rich tapestry of Filipino cuisine is a dish that stands out for its succulent flavors and aromatic charm – Chicken Inasal!
This chicken inasal recipe is so easy and quick not including the time to marinate the chicken. This grilled chicken dish is a sure winner with your family and friends. So let’s start and get those grills fire up!
What is Chicken Inasal?
Chicken Inasal is a grilled chicken dish hailing from the Visayan region of the Philippines. “Inasal” is a term that refers to the method of preparation meaning chargrilled or roasted meat. It originated from the City of Bacolod, Philippines where inasal restaurants are plenty. Others say it means skewered meat from the root word “asal”. Whatever it means, one thing I know for sure is it’s amazingly delicious!
Ingredients that Elevate the Flavor
The heart of Chicken Inasal lies in its marinade that also doubles as basting sauce. The traditional marinade comprises a blend of ingredients such as:
How to Make
The chicken is marinated with lemon, soy sauce, garlic, lemon grass, pepper and vinegar then grilled over charcoal until tender and juicy. It doesn’t stop there, the grilled chicken is brushed with chicken oil mixed with achuete powder that gives it an orange hue not to mention more flavor.
The recipe for the chicken achuete oil calls for chicken skin. Chicken skin can be bought in some groceries or at butchers in Asian stores. One trick I can share with you is, save the chicken skin when cooking other chicken recipes you make and freeze them. When you have enough, make the chicken oil in advance and place in a bottle with tight fitting lid.
Ways on how to grill
Chicken Inasal vs. BBQ Chicken
While Chicken Inasal and BBQ chicken share the concept of grilling, they are distinct in their preparation and flavor.
Tips for an amiable experience!
How to Serve and Store
Frequently Asked Questions
You may also like:
Chicken Inasal Recipe
- 3 pcs chicken thigh and legs
- 2 tbsp salt (to rub on chicken)
- ¼ cup cane vinegar
- 2 tbsp calamansi juice (or lemon juice)
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 stalk lemon grass (chopped)
- pinch of salt
Chicken Oil Ingredients
- 3 cups chicken skin
- ½ pc chicken broth cube
- 1 tbsp achuete powder
Marinate the chicken
- Thoroughly wash the chicken thighs then pat dry with paper towels. Cut some slits on the chicken diagonally so the meat inside will cook properly. Then rub in the salt.
- In a bowl large enough to fit the chicken, mix in the soy sauce, calamansi juice, cane vinegar, lemon grass, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Rub the marinate mixture on the chicken and cover with cling film. Let it soak for 2/4 hours or if you can, marinate it overnight in the refrigerator.
Making the chicken oil with achuete
- Place chicken skin in a pan over medium heat. Let it cook until it renders fat approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken skin and turn down the heat to low. Add chicken broth cube and achuete powder. Stir until broth cube and achuete powder dissolves.
- Transfer chicken oil sauce in a bowl by passing the oil on a strainer to remove any solids.
Grilling the chicken:
- Start up the grill whether you are using charcoal, oven, or electric grill.
- Place the chicken thighs on the grill and after 2 minutes brush the chicken with the chicken achuete oil.
- Grill the chicken pieces until cooked through while basting both sides with the annatto oil from time to time.
- As a serving suggestion, you can use banana leaves and place it between the chicken and serving plate with rice and chicken oil. Bon appetit!