Sisig, a Kapampangan Specialty
This Sisig recipe will make you go “OMG” with its scrumptious taste. It’s a Kapampangan dish from parts of pig head and chicken liver. Then seasoned with calamansi, onions and chili peppers. It’s popular in the Philippines as pulutan (food eaten with alcoholic drinks) but also served as the main course. I cook this dish for my family every now and then or when we miss our province Pampanga in the Philippines. A festival for this dish is held every year to showcase the Kapampangan’s cooking prowess. Have you tried sisig Kapampangan? Try this recipe and tell us what you think.
When we are having this dish, my husband would recall fond memories during his college years. He and his friends would go to Valdes St. or “Crossing” since it was a former railroad track in Angeles City, Pampanga.
You might also like to try:
- Hearty comfort food Pork Giniling.
- Chicken Inasal
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips on cooking Sisig.
- You can also use other parts of pork (pork belly). but to get the authentic experience, we suggest using parts from the head.
- Add more charisma to your dish and serve it on a hot plate or iron skillet.
For boiling the pig’s cheecks
- 2 pig’s cheeks
- 3 pcs bay leaves (crushed)
- 5 pcs whole pepper corn
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp salt
- 400 grams chicken liver
For making the Sisig
- 2 medium lemon
- 5 big red onions (chopped )
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 7 pcs. siling labuyo (red chili pepper) (chopped)
- 1 tbsp butter (add per serving (optional))
- Wash the pig’s cheek and shave any excess hair off the skin.
- In a large pot, Put the pig’s cheeks, pepper, bay leaves, salt and 4 cups of water and boil until the pork is somewhat tender but not too soft.
- Remove the cheeks and set aside. Pour the chicken liver in the same pot and cook for 10 minutes. Strain and set aside
- When the cheeks have cooled down, start cutting into small pieces. Do the same with the chicken liver but not too small to avoid mashing the liver.
- Place all chopped pieces in a large bowl and add the chopped onions, chili, salt and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are well distributed.
- Take a small bowl and mix the soy sauce and lemon juice. Then add gradually to the meat and mix well, tasting now and then to check if the flavor is okay with you. and it’s ready to serve.
Serving with a Hot Plate
- Place a hot plate on top of a stove. Add a tbsp of butter. Add the sisig and heat for 5 minutes. Serve while sizzling!
Cooking in Microwave
- Put sisig in a plate or bowl, add 1 tbsp butter on top and heat for 3-5 minutes
- Bon Appetit!
Delicious! Cooked it for the gang and they love it! Thanks for the recipe.
Hi Julia, Thank you. I’m glad you like it. 😉
taste great thanks for sharing your recipe
Cannot makebecause google ad blocks the recipe instructions
Hi Lalith, We’re looking into it. Thanks for telling us. Cheers!
Hi Lalith, We’ve sorted the problem. Thank you!