Calamansi Yogurt Cake
Moist and soft Calamansi Yogurt Cake with citrus glaze is easily an anytime-of-day cake! Each mouthful is just refreshing with the right amount of sweetness and tangy flavors.
This yogurt cake recipe was inspired by the calamansi muffins I shared on this blog. It’s a refreshing take from the classic yogurt cake by infusing calamansi juice in the batter. I was surprisingly pleased that my husband liked it very much even if he’s not into desserts or cakes.
It is easy to make and uses pantry ingredients so you can easily quench your cake cravings. Serve it on its own or you can make calamansi glaze I included here which is a perfect match. This is a simple, delicately sweet and tangy treat that will become a household favorite.
What is Yogurt Cake?
After so many years living here in France, gâteau au yaourt or yogurt cake, earned a place in my heart. It is a classic French baked treat like pound cake that is so simple, that even children here can make it. The base of this dessert is plain yogurt and traditionally flavored with a splash of vanilla.
Why this recipe works?
Best yogurt for making cake
This no-frill cake can be made with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen and yogurt is no exemption. You can either use plain or Greek yogurt and still yield the same texture and flavor.
Using whole milk and full fat yogurts is what they use to make the classic French treat and it will guarantee rich, soft and moist calamansi yogurt cake.
Notes on some Ingredients
How to make the glaze
The cake is so good as it is but it gets better with citrus glazing. This extra step is totally worth it to fully enjoy this baked goody without breaking a sweat.
To make, just mix together 3-4 tablespoon of calamansi in 1 cup of powdered sugar and whisk until smooth and it forms into glaze. That’s it, easy right?
How to serve and store
Tips for an amiable experience
You may also like…
Calamansi Yogurt Cake
- 3 medium eggs
- 2-3 tbsp calamansi juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3-4 tbsp calamansi juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Pre heat oven at 180°C/356°F and prepare baking pan by greasing with baking spray or butter.
- Crack open the eggs and place in a mixing bowl, add sugar and beat until pale in color and sugar dissolves.3 medium eggs, 1 cup sugar
- Add vegetable oil, vanilla powder, salt and calamansi juice into the egg and flour mixture then stir until well incorporated.2-3 tbsp calamansi juice, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp vanilla sugar
- Add yogurt and mix in with a spatula or wooden spoon until well incorporated.1 cup plain yogurt
- Tip in flour in 3 batches and fold in between batch until no traces of flour is left.1 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and tap on top of the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake in pre heated oven for 50 – 60 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean.
- Make the glazing while the cake is baking by mixing together the calamansi and powdered sugar in a small bowl until a bit runny and forms into a glaze.3-4 tbsp calamansi juice, 1 cup powdered sugar
- Remove cake from the oven and flip oven on a cooling rack to completely cool down.
- Release cake from baking ban and pipe in with glazing. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit