Who can resist warm from the oven homemade Bread Pudding? Here you get bread soaked in rich custard, then baked until set. So delicious!
This homestyle Bread Pudding recipe uses simple ingredients but delivers a decadent dessert. It’s one of those back to basics recipes that people just love. A recipe for keeps!
I really love this pudding served with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream and some sauce. But honestly, it’s delicious just by itself. Serve this delicious almond and chocolate chip bread pudding with whipped cream or with milk for breakfast or dessert for a change of pace.
Do not let stale bread go to waste!
What do you do with my bread that is no longer fresh? We are all aware of the fact that after a couple of days, your fresh-baked bread is no longer fresh. In fact, it’s a little dry and crumbly or chewy, sometimes even stale.
And let’s face it guys, day-old bread is kind of a big deal. So, if you look around the world, you will discover that almost everyone has found some very clever ways to use up bread that has gone stale. And one way to give life to stale bread is to make it into this yummy dish!
What is Bread Pudding?
The dish originated from 11th to 12th century England and was called “poor man’s pudding”. During that time, the recipe only involves washing bread in hot water then squeezing it to dry. It is then flavored with whatever available spices or sugar they have at hand.
The following century, the recipe for bread pudding evolved when cooks started adding milk and eggs to soak the bread in and eventually was called bread and butter pudding. The modern version has many variations depending on the country. One thing that makes it so delectable is the luxurious custard liquid that the bread is soaked in.
Aside from almond flakes and chocolate chips, there are other toppings that works really well with this dessert. Here are some suggestions to get you started.
- Raisins and dried fruit- for some fruity flavor in your bread pudding.
- Nuts – like pecans or walnuts.
- Berries – blueberries, cherries
Bread pudding sauce
Want a bit of something extra to go with your bread pudding recipe? Here is a bonus sauce recipe for you that you can quickly put together while the pudding bakes.
In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat then whisk in sugar and an egg . Cook while stirring the sauce just until it thickens, then remove it from heat and whisk in water with vanilla extract and some cider vinegar.
If you want a hassle free way to serve your bread pudding with sauce you can use.
- Caramel sauce
- Vanilla sauce
- Chocolate sauce
Tips for Bread Pudding
- You could prepare this the day before then chill and bake the next day. Let it rest at room temperature while the oven preheats, then add extra time to baking as needed.
- For leftovers, store bread pudding in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. I can last up to 5 days.
- To reheat, place individual slices in a plate and warm for a minute.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You might also like:
- Chocolate chip banana bread lets you enjoy banana bread and chocolate chips in one go! Soft and moist banana loaf loaded with decadent chocolate chips that will win the hearts of everyone.
- Light and fluffy brioche buns and bread that you can comfortably make at home! The dough is effortless to make with a few simple steps and is easy to handle.
- Homemade “no-knead” artisan bread that is crusty outside but soft and chewy inside. Enjoy a freshly baked rustic looking bread that is so delicious and so easy to make.
- 10 slices of bread loaf (preferrably a day or two old, cut into 1-inch squares)
- 1 410 ml can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp almond flakes (adjust according to preference)
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips (adjust according to preference)
- 2 tbsp butter cut into cubes
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Pre-heat oven at 180°C or 356°F. Prepare loaf pan or baking dish by greasing with oil and ling with parchment paper.
- Cut slices of bread loaf in 1 inch squares and place in a bowl. Set aside.10 slices of bread loaf
- In a mixing bowl, mix in milk and eggs and whisk until incorporated.1 410 ml can evaporated milk, 2 eggs
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon powder, and vanilla extract and mix until sugar dissolves.1/4 tsp cinnamon powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Pour liquid mixture into the bowl with cut bread and gently toss until liquid is absorbed by the bread pieces using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer bread mixture into prepared loaf pan/baking dish and carefully level the top using a spatula.
- Top with enough amount of almond flakes, chocolate chips or choice of topping.1 1/2 tbsp almond flakes, 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Distribute butter cubes evenly on top of the batter mixture then sprinkle 1 tsp brown sugar.2 tbsp butter cut into cubes, 1 tsp brown sugar
- Bake for in pre heated oven for 40 – 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Removed from oven and let cool for a few minutes then serve. Bon Appetit!