Who can resist warm from the oven homemade Bread Pudding? Here you get bread soaked in a rich custard, then it’s gently baked until set. So delicious! Serve this delicious Raisin Bread Pudding with whipped cream or with milk for breakfast for a change of pace.
This homestyle Bread Pudding recipe uses simple ingredients yet you get such a tasty dish. It’s one of those back to basics recipes that people just love. A recipe for keeps! I really love this pudding served with a huge scoop of ice cream and some sauce. But honestly, it’s delicious just by itself.
What do you do with my bread that is no longer fresh?
We are all aware of the fact that after a couple of days, your fresh-baked bread is no longer fresh baked. In fact, it’s a little dry and crumbly or chewy. Sometimes even stale. And let’s face it guys, stale bread is kind of a big deal.
So, if you look around the world, you will discover that almost everyone has found some very clever ways to use up bread that has gone stale. And one way to give life to stale bread is to make it into this yummy dish!
You might also like:
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Bread Pudding
- You could prepare this the day before then chill and bake the next day. Let it rest at room temperature while the oven preheats, then add extra time to baking as needed.
- 4 cups bread loaf preferrably a day or two old,sliced into 1-inch cubes
- 375 ml evaporated milk
- 3 tbsp condensed milk
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raisins optional
- 3 tbsp water
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Spread melted butter into a casserole dish (about 12 by 8-inch). Set aside.
Making the topping
- In a small pot over medium heat. Add water and sugar. Let the sugar dissolve in water until caramelized. Pour into the greased casserole dish and move the casserole side to side to spread the caramelized sugar at the bottom of the dish.
Making the pudding
- In a bowl. Add evaporated milk, water, and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add eggs, melted butter, salt, raisins, and vanilla extract. Mix until well incorporated. Place the bread cubes and let soak for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven at 180°C.
- After soaking for 20 minutes. Transfer the bread mixture into the greased casserole dish with caramelized sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Removed from oven and let cool for a few minutes then serve. Bon Appetit!