Steamed cod fillet is a healthful and quick-cooking dinner/lunch option. It is healthy because you cook the fish without butter or oil. But once the sauce is poured on the fish it explodes with exceptional flavor. Haddock, halibut, tilapia or other firm-fleshed white fish can be used in place of the cod. This is a very simple recipe and a breeze to cook. It is especially wonderful because of its ingredients. With just 12 items, it packs great flavor with hardly any fuss.
It’s also a dish that can be found on a lot of home dinner tables. That’s when you know it’s not just easy, it’s good.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Steamed Cod Fillet
- Struggling over the ginger’s knobby surface? Instead of using a
paring knife or a vegetable peeler, try a spoon and holding the ginger steady with one hand, they suggest, scrape the spoon toward you in short strokes.
- Do not over steam the fish or it will break easily.
Steamed Cod Fillet with Ginger and Soy sauce
- 3 pcs cod fillet
- 1/4 cup ginger (cut into strips)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (chicken cube and water mix)
- 1 tbsp cooking wine (optional)
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 stem green onion (for garnishing)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Wash the cod fillet and drain excess water. Wrap each fillet in aluminum foil.
- Steam cod fillet for 15 minutes in a steamer or you can improvise by boiling water in a pot with a round trivet to place the fish on top and cover the pot. Do not over steam.
- While waiting for the fish to be cooked. Heat oil in a sauce pan. Saute garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add soy sauce, chicken broth, cooking wine, oyster sauce, sesame oil, ground pepper and sugar. Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes. Taste to adjust seasoning. Set aside
- When the cod fillets are cook steamed. Drain any water from the aluminum foil and transfer the cod in a serving plate.
- Pour the sauce on the cod fillet and garnish with green onions. Serve while hot. Enjoy! Bon Appetit!