These Pork Empanada are the perfect weeknight meal idea or great for appetizers for parties or potlucks. These delicious stuffed bread pastries filled with tasty pork and vegetables — either served fried or baked. Try this delicious recipe for pork empanadas, that are easy to make and is packed with flavors!
This empanada recipe has ground pork and vegetables filling. Empanada is baked or fried pastry with meat fillings like pork, beef, and chicken. The name comes from the Spanish verb empanar and literally translates to wrapped or coated in bread. In Filipino cuisine, empanadas usually contain ground beef, pork or chicken, potatoes, chopped onions, and raisins then wrapped in wheat flour bread. These empanadas have a slight sweetness as Filipinos do love that a little added sweetness in their food, including savory. There are two kinds available: the baked sort and the flaky fried type.
This meat-filled pastry is one of my favorite. It’s so versatile in a way that it can be eaten as a snack or a light lunch and dinner! You can find these in local bakeries in the Philippines along with Pandesal, Ensaymada, and Pan de Coco. Frying is the most convenient way of cooking this empanada but you can also bake them if you fancy. Try these savory empanadas today and amaze your family and friends! A pleasure to eat that will keep you asking for more!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Pork Empanada
- You can freeze empanadas for later consumption. Just makes sure they have completely cooled before freezing. Simply put some in a ziplock bag and froze them.
- To reheat them, it was a case of straight from the freezer to a lined tray and the oven (medium heat).
Ingredients for Pastry
- 2 ½ cup bread flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup cold water
- 115 grams butter (cold from fridge)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 egg
Ingredients for Filling
- ½ kilo ground pork
- 1 large carrot (cut in small cubes)
- 1 large potato (cut in small cubes)
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- salt and pepper (seasoning)
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
For Frying Empanada
- 3 cups cooking oil
Making the Pastry
- Combine bread flour, white sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients using a wire whisk.
- Add in the butter to the dry ingredients and mix them until the butter is well mixed with the flour mixture. NOTE: You can use two forks or your hands to better incorporate the butter with the flour mixture.
- Add the egg and mix. Then add vinegar and mix.
- Add cold water gradually while kneading until the mixture turns into a smooth dough.
- Wrap dough in cling film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Making the Filling
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook carrots and potatoes until soft then remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion and garlic. Add ground pork stir cook for a few minutes.
- Add sugar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and raisins and let cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Remove from heat and transfer in a bowl to cool down.
Wrapping and Cooking Empanadas
- Prepare a clean surface, like a chopping board, and dust with flour.
- Get a piece of dough and press it on the surface of the chopping board. Using a rolling pin, flatten it further until thickness becomes at least half a centimeter thick.
- Place 1 or 1½ tablespoon of filling in the center of the flattened dough.
- Fold the dough and seal the round edges by crimping or folding it.
- In a deep frying pan, heat oil about 3 cups and deep fry the empanadas for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the empanadas in a bowl lined with paper towels to drain excess oil, Then transfer to a plate and serve. Bon Appetit!
The recipe says something about Baking powder but it is not in the Ingredients for the pastry?
Thank you for dropping. I’ve updated the recipe. and yes it’s included for making the pastry. Thank you and Happy Baking
Hello I wanted to bake the empanadas. How long would I bake them for and what temperature?
You can bake the empanadas for 12-15 minutes at 180°C/360°F or until the crust is golden. Hope this helps.