Crispy sisig recipe lets you enjoy the same flavorful and delicious pork dish but with a crispy twist. Served as an appetizer or main dish, either way delivers crunchy, spicy, tasty goodness.
If you’re a big fan of sisig, then this crispy sisig recipe is right up your alley. Every now and then, we indulge on this Kapampangan dish. And when I do make it, everyone in my family puts on their game faces at the dinner table. It’s packed with savory flavors and make it spicy the way you like!
What is Sisig?
Pork sisig is a Filipino dish usually served as an appetizer or main dish. Parts of a pig’s head like the face (maskara), ears, pork belly are the more prominent ingredient of the dish. Adding chicken livers, minced onion, spices and chilis makes it complete.
What does it taste like?
What does sisig taste like? Sisig has a mix of savory and fatty flavors from the pork. The chicken livers gives it a rich, creamy and earthy taste plus sweetness from the onions. You can adjust the level of spiciness by adding red chilis and balance everything with some drops of calamansi or lemon juice.
Making it Crispy
If you search the web, other recipes makes use of lechon kawali hence the crispiness. I used the pig’s face for the recipe but feel free to use pork belly (liempo) if you like. To make the face crispy or belly like lechon, boil it for at least 45 minutes with bay leaves, pepper corn, salt and vinegar. After boiling the pork, you can do the following:
- Cook in the oven in grill setting for 30 minutes or until golden crispy.
- Deep fry in a deep cooking pot with cover until golden.
- If you have a deep fryer, use it for less hassle and easier cooking.
Tips for an amiable experience
- Let the pork rest until cool to touch after cooking in the oven or frying. Chop it into small pieces using a knife or cleaver if you have one.
- You can serve this as is or in a sizzling plate. Place a hot plate on top of a stove. Add a tbsp of butter. Add the sisig and heat for 5 minutes. Serve while sizzling!
- To enjoy the crispiness of the pork, serve it right after making it. The crunchiness wanes after a day or so.
- For left-overs, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. To re-heat, transfer in a pan with no oil. heat for 5-10 minutes while stirring for even heating.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You may also like:
- Crispy pata is boiled pork (leg or knuckle) then baked until the rind is puffed and crisp while the meat stays soft and moist.
- Bopis or pulutok as others would call it is uniquely delicious! A spicy dish made of pork lungs, pork heart, chilis, and carrots.
- Tokwa’t Baboy – Made with boiled pork cuts, tofu cubes fried to perfection and then poured over with a sauce mixture of vinegar, soy sauce, onions, and chili peppers.
Crispy Sisig Recipe
- 2 pcs. pig's face (maskara) or 1 kg. pork belly (liempo)
- ⅛ tsp pepper corn
- 8 cups water for boiling pork/pig's face
- 3 pcs. bay leaves
- 3 tbsp salt
- ¼ cup calamansi juice or lemon juice
- 5 pcs red thai chili
- 3 large white onion chopped
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- ¼ cup chicken livers
- 3 tbsp calamansi juice, pinch of salt and pepper seasoning for chicken livers
Preparing the pig's face
- Remove hair if there's any on the pig's face. Wash thoroughly in running water to wash away any blood.2 pcs. pig's face (maskara)
- Place in a large pot then add water, bay leaves, pepper corn, and salt. Boil for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender.⅛ tsp pepper corn, 8 cups water, 3 pcs. bay leaves, 3 tbsp salt
- Remove pig's face from pot and drain excess liquid. Transfer in a wire rack and cook in the oven in grill setting at 180°C/350°F until golden crispy.
Preparing chicken livers.
- While waiting on the pig's face to cook. Boil the chicken livers using the pot and liquid where the pig's face was boiled in for 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Transfer liver in a bowl and mash using a spoon. Add the 3 tbsp of calamansi juice then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Making the crispy sisig.
- Remove pig's face in the oven and let cool down to room temperature. Chop into small pieces then transfer in a large bowl.
- Add chopped onions, ¼ cup calamansi juice, and mashed liver. Mix to incorporate then season with salt and pepper according to preference. Add chilis and mix again to distribute the chilis evenly.¼ cup calamansi juice, 3 large white onion, salt and pepper, 5 pcs red thai chili