Leche Flan dessert is a joy to eat! Crowned with caramel syrup on top, it’s just what you need after a hearty meal. A delicious smooth and creamy Filipino dessert that everyone will enjoy.
If you’re going to a Filipino get-together, there is a 99% chance that you’ll see leche flan. This oval shaped custard dessert made of eggs and milk just spells pleasure! It’s a dessert me and my husband slowly enjoy after a dinner with coffee.
This leche flan recipe I’m sharing with you is ultra smooth and unbelievably creamy. The flavors are well balanced and not to sweet. If you think making this treat is complicated, think again! This guide with tips will help you with make the creamiest leche flan you’ll ever have.
What Is Leche Flan
Similar to creme caramel without the cream, this flan is usually baked or steamed in a llanera (flan mold). It’s a popular dessert dish in the Philippines and often served on special occasions like fiestas. It mainly consist of egg yolks, evaporated milk and condensed milk. Adding lemon zest and vanilla extract helps elevate the flavor and balance the sweetness.
The golden brown caramelized sugar topping that becomes a syrup after cooking just makes sense. This is a sweet treat worth making over and over again. What’s even better is it’s easy to make and can last long if stored properly.
In an oven – You can use the oven to bake your leche flan. Place the molds with flan mixture in a deep baking pan then pour hot water in the baking pan or large roasting pan until it reaches half of the molds. Bake at 180°C or 356°F for 1 hour in “bain marie” or water bath method.
Using a steamer – Boil water in a steamer over a stove top. Arrange your llanera or molds in the steamer then turn down the heat of the stove and steam for 1 hour or when inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
Tips For Caramelizing Sugar
I have to admit, this was the most challenging part when I first tried making leche flan or crème caramel. One wrong move and you’ll end up with burnt and bitter caramel. So here are some pointers for a perfect golden caramel.
Smooth, Creamy, And Bubble Free Leche Flan!
Some More Cooking Tips
How To Serve And Store
You Might Also Like:
- 10 egg yolks
- 410 grams or 1 can evaporated milk
- 397 grams or 1 can condense milk
- 5 grams or 1 tsp vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon rind
For caramel topping
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar (2 tbsp / mold (llanera))
- Place 2 tbsp. of granulated sugar in each llanera or mold. Set the llanera on the stovetop over low heat to dissolve the sugar.6 tbsp granulated sugar
- Once the sugar completely dissolves, hold the llanera using a tong to tilt and distribute the caramel at the bottom of the mold. Set aside to let it completely cool down.
- Pre-heat oven at 180°C or 356°F. While pre-heating oven start with the custard mix.
- In a bowl, add egg yolks then beat with a wire whisk until all of the yolks are broken.10 egg yolks
- Add the vanilla sugar, lemon rind, condense milk, and evaporated milk then mix well. Don’t over mix to avoid forming bubbles.397 grams or 1 can condense milk, 5 grams or 1 tsp vanilla sugar or vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp lemon rind, 410 grams or 1 can evaporated milk
- Using a cheese cloth or fine mesh strainer, strain the custard mixture into another bowl to remove bubbles.
- Pour the custard mix into llanera with caramelized sugar (approx. 3/4 full). Cover molds with aluminum foil. Let it sit for 5 mins to rest before baking.
- Arrange the molds with custard in a deep baking pan or roasting pan then pour hot water in the baking pan until it reaches half of the molds.
- Bake at 180°C or 356°F for 1 hour in “bain marie” or water bath method or until inserted tooth pick comes out clean. .
- Removed the llanera from steamer and let it cool complete and refrigerate for best result. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!
- If the middle of the flan is still uncooked turn off the heat and let the leche flan cook in the steamer for 5 to 10 minutes more.