Pork asado may sound Spanish but is actually a dish that the Chinese introduced in the Philippines. Asado is also famous as a siopao (dumplings) filling. The other variant is bola-bola (meatballs). Cooking kapampangan pork asado has a different method or technique than The Chinese asado. The Kapampangans stew the pork in tomato sauce. Giving this sweet dish a bit of tang. This dish is great for days when you just want something easy and low-key to cook. It’s really quick to prepare, and is very easy to cook. You can’t go wrong in preparing this tasty dish since the procedure is simple; all you need to do is marinade the meat in a mixture of spices and seasonings and boil it until tender. Try it and let me know what you think. So let’s get those aprons on and let’s cook! Enjoy!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for cooking Pork Asado of Pampanga
- Marinate the pork overnight.
For marinating the pork.
- 1 kilo pork belly uncut
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 250 grams tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 5 pcs whole pepper corn
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
For cooking Pork Asado
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 3 potatoes sliced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 small onion sliced
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp butter
Marinating the pork
- In a bowl, put the uncut pork belly plus all ingredients for marinating and mix. Let it marinate overnight in the fridge.
Cooking the Pork Asado
- Take out the marinated pork from the fridge and put everything in a cooking pot plus add 1 cup of water. Boil until meat is soft and tender.
- Separate the pork and sauce. Set aside the sauce.
- In a frying pan, put in the oil and fry the pork (still uncut) on both sides until it turns slightly brown. When done, put in a plate to cool down and cut it into preferred size. (not too thick if possible)
- Using the same frying pan. Saute the garlic and onion. Add the potatoes, carrots and stir. Add the sauce that you set aside and bring to a boil.
- When it boils, add the sugar and taste for sweetness or saltiness and check if the sauce has a thick consistency.
- Add the cut pork belly in the sauce and let simmer for 5 minutes then add the butter.
- Serve and enjoy! Bon Appetit!