Egg Pie is a sweet and creamy custard delight to eat. This is a pie that is satisfying both during the winter and summer and it will always be a hit. Just a few basic ingredients that you are sure to have on hand are all that is needed for this easy homemade pie. Egg pie can be eaten either as snack or dessert. I prefer both (can you blame me? It’s so good!). Let it cool completely before slicing or the filling will be runny. This pie is commonly found on display at local bakeries in the Philippines. The crust is so easy to make you don’t need the store bought pie crust. So, enough with the small talk and let’s get baking!
The custard filling only takes a few minutes to make. It is made from eggs, milk, and a teaspoon of vanilla for flavor.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Egg pie.
- Learn how to scald milk, scalding your milk means to heat it to a temperature just before boiling. This is important because hot milk is slowly whisked into egg yolks to incorporate them seamlessly into custard.
- Use gentle folding motions, this technique is commonly used when combining light ingredients like egg whites with heavy ingredients (the egg custard).
For the crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
For the flan/custard
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 large whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 397 grams condense milk canned
For making the crust
- In a mixing bowl. Sift flour and salt, add sugar and mix ingredients well.
- Add the vegetable shortening, and mix with the flour using a two forks, pastry cutter or by hand. keep on mixing until you have a sandy/coarse textured dough.
- Pour the cold water 1 tbsp at a time while kneading by hand until you finish all of the water. Keep kneading until smooth. Cover with cling film and let rest for 30 minutes.
- After resting. remove from bowl and place on a flour powdered flat surface. Flatten the dough into a circular shape depending on the size/diameter of the pie pan you are using. Put in the fridge. Set aside
For making the flan/custard
- Heat evaporated milk in a pot over low-heat, let simmer quickly approximately 5 seconds or until you see bubbles forming on the side. This process is called to scald.
- In a mixing bowl. Put the three whole eggs and add 1 egg yolk. Whisk while pouring gently the warm evaporated milk.
- Add the condense milk and stir until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract and stir.
- Take another bowl and strain the custard mixture to remove lumps.
- With the 1 egg white beat with electric mixer until stiff peaks. Using a spatula fold the egg white into the custard mixture.
Making the pie.
Pre-heat oven @ 180°C
- Pour the custard on the pie crust you prepared and bake in the oven for 40 – 45 minute @ 180°C.
- Remove from oven and let it cool down. Serve and enjoy! Bon Appetit!