This Filipino Coconut Pie recipe is just like the ones I buy at local bakeries back home. It has simple ingredients that I bet you have right now in your pantry! I made my own dough which is very easy to make and I’m sure you can make it too. When it comes to pie recipes, this classic coconut pie recipe takes the blue ribbon. Perfect for snacks, this tropical filling is dense and not overly sweet. This is a sweet pie that will satisfy any sweet tooth. Pair it with coffee or juice, either way, it will be delicious! Make a delicious coconut pie with this easy recipe, perfect for everyday baking and occasions.
It’s a classic for a reason. Making a coconut pie from scratch is so much easier than you might think .
What to expect from Filipino Coconut Pie
This pie is SO good! It’s full of coconut flavor along with the soft bread crust. It’s all just wonderful and a pie I can’t wait to make over and over again! I hope you enjoy it!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
- Read coconut packages closely and you’ll notice that there are two types available: flaked and shredded. Flaked coconut is cut into small pieces and is drier than shredded coconut. Either type works well in most recipes, but using shredded results in a more moist and chewy finished product.
- I used the flaked type so you need to add a bit of water to make it bloom.
Filipino Coconut Pie
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cups powder milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 75 grams vegetable shortening or lard
- 1 eggyolk (for eggwash)
For coconut filling
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups coconut flakes (soaked in 1/2 cup water)
- 4 tbsp fresh milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- pinch salt
Making the coconut filling
- In cooking pot. Melt butter in medium heat. Add the coconut flakes and turn the heat to low to avoid burning the flakes. Stir until the flakes is soaked in butter.
- Add sugar then stir for the flakes to absorb. Add the flour and salt, then gradually add milk while stirring. Continue mixing until have a sticky consistency.
- Taste and adjust to preferred sweetness. Remove from heat source and let it cool down.
For dough and baking the pie
- Prepare a baking pan (I used a 20 cm x 20 cm pan) by greasing the surface with butter.
- Mix all ingredients for dough in a large bowl.
- Mix by hand until well incorporated to form a dough.
- Kneed 2 to 3 minutes, careful not to over kneed. Cut in two parts
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/375F. 30 minutes
- In a flat surface slightly dust with flour. Take one part of the dough and flatten with rolling pin. Thickness around 3 millimeters. DO the same with the other half of the dough.
- Lay one of the flatten dough on the baking pan and poked with fork, so air can escape when baking. Then spread the cooled down coconut filling on top. Make sure it’s evenly distributed.
- After spreading all of the filling. cover it with the other flattened dough then press down lightly to remove air pockets. Score the surface then apply egg wash.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes at 180C/375F. or when top is golden brown.
- Cut into desired sizes and serve in dessert plates. Enjoy! Bon Appetit.