Ginisang Ampalaya is a healthy sautéed vegetable dish with bitter melon as a prominent ingredient. Cooked with tomatoes and eggs making it affordable yet flavorful weeknight dinner.
For someone who’s not into vegetables, ginisang ampalaya is my husband’s favorite. He only likes a handful of veggies and surprisingly bitter melon or bitter gourd is one of them. Well this was not case when he was younger, he disliked it! Fast-forward to when we got married and had a taste of my cooking, let’s just say he’s a transformed man!
Why this recipe works!
Having ginisang ampalaya in your weekly menu rotation not only has health benefits but also economical. Here are some points why make it.
Bitter melon or bitter gourd contains nutrients that can decrease cholesterol levels and lowering blood sugar. It’s also rich in vitamin C to strengthten the immune system.
Easy to make and won’t take much of your time. It’s great for weeknight dinners because it only takes a couple of minutes to make.
Makes your meal not only nutritious but also easy on the pocket. Tomatoes, eggs might be in your pantry already and bitter gourd is inexpensive.
How to prepare bitter melon
Below are steps on how to prepare bitter melon and some tips to help reduce the bitterness.
Start by thoroughly washing the bitter gourd and cutting it lengthwise. Then using a spoon, scoop out the seeds from the center, and then cut into slices approximately 1/2 inch thick.
Rubbing bitter gourd with salt and letting it sit for 20-30 minutes helps draw out some of the bitterness. This also takes away some of the nutrients so take note.
Reduce the bitterness by adding a very small amount of jaggery or sugar to the dish. Keep in mind though to balance it with salt and pepper so it doesn’t turn out sweet.
Do not cover the pan while cooking and avoid stirring to much. Using over-ripe tomatoes helps balance the dish because of it’s acidity and sweetness of the tomato juice.
Soaking sliced bitter melon in salted water for at least 5 minutes also takes away some of its bitterness.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You may also like:
Atcharang ampalaya or pickled bitter gourd is a refreshing side to compliment any fried dish. Made of julienned radish, carrots, bell pepper, and bitter gourd.
Chicken and Bittergourd Stir-fry is a super easy recipe that is FULL of flavour! This stir-fry contains chicken breast, bitter gourd, a bit of chili.
P.S. Enjoy this nutritious and flavorful vegetable dish. Even the kids will like it! Adieu… MIA
- 5 pcs small sized bitter melon
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste optional
- ½ vegetable broth cube optional
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ cup water add more if needed
- 2-3 medium eggs
- Start by thoroughly washing the bitter melon and cutting it lengthwise. Then using a spoon, scoop out the seeds from the center, and then cut the into slices approximately 1/2 inch thick.5 pcs small sized bitter melon
- Soak bitter melon in salted water and slightly squeeze. Let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- In a pan or wok, heat oil over low-medium heat. Sauté onion until translucent then sauté garlic until fragrant.2 tbsp cooking oil, 1 medium onion, 3 cloves garlic
- Add tomatoes and cook until wilted and juice is secreted. Tip in tomato paste and vegetable broth cube then stir until cube dissolves and incorporated.2 medium tomatoes, 1 tbsp tomato paste, ½ vegetable broth cube
- Drain bitter melon and add in the pan. quickly stir and let it cook for a minute. Pour in fish sauce then stir to incorporate then add water.3 tbsp fish sauce, ½ cup water
- Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes without covering the pan. When the bitter melon is soft and tender stir to even out the cooking then let cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Add the eggs into the pan and let it cook for a few seconds. When the eggs starts to cook, stir to distribute evenly.2-3 medium eggs
- Transfer in a serving dish and serve with steamed rice. Bon appetit!