Chicken and Bittergourd Stir-fry is a super easy recipe that is FULL of flavour! This stir-fry contains chicken breast, bitter gourd, a bit of chili. With a combination of hoisin sauce and chicken broth that goes perfectly with rice. Chicken and Bittergourd stir-fry is ready in just 30 minutes making it an easy and quick weeknight dinner. Everyone needs a good, classic stir fry recipe in their back pocket for quick lunches and dinners, and I think this should be the one.
It comes together in just 30 minutes, is rich in protein and fiber, and delivers big flavor. What’s not to love? Let me show you how easy it is to get this dish on the table.
The whole family will love this stir fry, and you’ll love how quick it is to make!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Chicken and Bittergourd Stir-Fry
The only thing I did to make sure that the meat is tender was to slice it very thin against the grain. The chicken breast needs to be thawed enough for the knife to easily get through, but cold enough to hold up against the knife. Also, Marinating the meat so that the tissue breaks down a bit during the cooking process helps in making it tender.
Chicken Bittergourd Stir-fry
- 2 pcs chicken breast cut in cubes
- 2 small bitter gourd (ampalaya) seeds removed and cut in strips
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp ginger minced, half for marinating
- 1 tbsp cornstarch half for marinating
- 2 tbsp cooking oil half for marinating
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 3/8 cup water
- 1 pc chicken broth cube
- 1 pc red chili cut in small pieces
Marinating the chicken breast
- In a bowl put the chicken breast cubes and add soy sauce, sugar, 1 tbsp. ginger, cornstarch and oil. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
Preparing the pre-mixed sauce and thickening sauce
- In a small bowl, dissolve the chicken cube in 1/4 cup water then add hoisin sauce and mix. (pre_mixed sauce)
- With the remaining 1/8 cup of water, dissolve the 1 tsp cornstarch and set aside. (thickener)
Cooking the stir-fry.
- In a wok, heat oil in high temperature. When the oil is hot enough, saute the garlic until fragrant. Then add the chicken breast and stir fry for 5 minutes.
- When the meat is cooked, transfer in a plate and set aside. Using the same wok. Add a bit more oil if needed and saute the remaining 1 tbsp of ginger.
- Put in the bitter gourd and stir for 2 minutes. Cover the wok and let simmer for 5 minutes. When the gourd is tender. Pour the pre-mix sauce, stir and simmer again for 5 minutes.
- Mix the chicken breast with the gourd in the wok and stir for 2 minutes then cover to cook for 8 minutes.
- Pour the thickening sauce and stir for 3 minutes. VOILA! serve while hot. Bon Appetit!