Caramel bars that are soft, chewy, and crunchy at the same time! Inspired by Max's restaurant, it's like having the same thing but with almond flakes instead of ground peanuts. Great for dessert, snack or pack it for kids to enjoy at school.
Servings: 24 bars
- 6 egg yolks
- ¾ cup brown sugar or white granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil or softened butter unsalted or salted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 397 grams can condense milk
- 1 cup milk powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking Powder
- ¼ tsp salt remove if using salted butter
- ½ cup almond flakes - add more if needed cashew nuts, ground peanuts, chopped walnuts
Pre heat oven at 180°C / 356° F. Line 14in. x 10in. baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
In a mixing bowl beat the egg yolks using a hand mixer or wire whisk until light and pale in color. Then add sugar beat until well incorporated.
Add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract then mix again. Pour condense milk then give it a quick mix until all the ingredient are well combined. Tip in milk powder then mix until no traces of milk is left.
In a separate bowl sift the flour and baking powder using a strainer.
Fold-in the dry ingredient in 2 batches using a spatula until there is no trace of flour. Use a hand mixer then give it a quick beat until smooth. (NOTE: don’t over beat or the caramel bars will be tough/hard)
Pour the caramel batter into prepared pan then top with almonds flakes. Bake for 40-45 mins or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Bon appetit!
- If using softened butter. (This will replace step 2) Beat the butter until creamed then add sugar then proceed to adding the eggs.