Tuyo Pasta is making waves in the Philippine pasta scene. When I first told my husband that I’m making this pasta for dinner, he looks at me like I’m from a different planet. Seriously! His mouth was agape and forcefully said “okay, sure” lol. So I made it and as soon as he got his first forkful of pasta, he was speechless because he can’t stop wolfing down the rest on his plate!
To Filipinos living abroad, especially to those living in apartment blocks, cooking tuyo can be a challenge. The smell of frying tuyo can sometimes annoy neighbors. To make this pasta recipe you have an option to use the bottled tuyo or the dried ones. If you opted for using dried tuyo, one way to lessen the smell when cooking the dried fish is to bake them wrapped in aluminum foil. This method will definitely keep the smell at a minimum.
Most of the recipes online just use garlic, olive oil and flaked tuyo. I decided to add Parmesan to give it a creamy flavor. A sprinkling of chili flakes to give it some zing. Voila! This pasta recipe will be your best friend! Especially when you need to whip up a quick and easy weeknight dinner!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you should also try our other pasta recipes:
- The famous Charlie Chan Pasta with it’s delicious nutty sauce.
- Or this Italian classic Black Ink Seafood Pasta.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Tuyo Pasta
- Cook spaghetti pasta al dente – cooked so as to be still firm when bitten.
- You can use dried tuyo or bottled gourmet tuyo.
- 300 grams spaghetti pasta cooked al dente
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup dried tuyo flakes
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- parmesan cheese
- parsley garnish
- salt and pepper seasoning
- Cooked spaghetti pasta as per package directions. Set aside
- In a large cooking pan. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion until fragrant and translucent. Add chili flakes and half of the tuyo flakes and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add spaghetti noodles and mix with other ingredients. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove from pan and transfer in a serving dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and garnish with some parsley. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!