Potatoes Au Gratin involves layering thinly sliced potatoes with heavy cream (lots of it!) and grated cheese in a dish. Then baking until the cream reduces and blankets the potatoes in a rich, creamy sauce. This French classic is the creme de la creme of all potato recipes!
You are probably also familiar with scalloped potatoes. Well, the difference between the two is that scalloped potatoes are made with a flour-butter-milk roux. With Potato Au Gratin its pure – bye bye diet – cream, butter, and cheese. It is the ultimate comfort food with sliced potatoes, heavy cream & grated cheese. The indulgence is worth it!
There are many different recipes. With or without cheese, with or without eggs, with cream or only milk, etc. If it’s difficult or you just don’t have the time to choose the right recipe. How about starting with the easiest one… This recipe. It’s so easy even my husband had fun making it! The dish is worthy for special occasions or just a weekend indulgence.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Potatoes Au Gratin
- Do not use waxy potatoes like the ones used for potato salads. Use starchy potatoes like russets etc.
Potatoes Au Gratin
- 5 large potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup gruyere cheese (cheddar will work too) grated
- Prepare by greasing baking dish with butter and preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them 1/8" x 3 mm thick or as thin as you can possibly go. Or use a slicer for convenience!
- Soak potato slices in water to prevent oxidation or turning brown.
- Heat saucepan over medium heat then pour in the heavy cream, garlic, butter, salt, and pepper. Let cook until butter melts. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain water from the potatoes and take your prepared greased baking dish.
- Pour a small amount of the cream mixture, just enough to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread some of the potatoes in a baking dish to make a first layer. Then pour over some of the cream mixture again then repeat the process until you finish all potato slices and cream mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the potatoes and spread evenly. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. NOTE:At 1 hour and 15 minutes, check the potatoes if tender and remove foil. turn on fan/broil setting of oven to give the top a golden brown crust.
- Remove from oven and serve as a side or on it's own! Bon Appetit!