Bonjour Les Amis! Pork floss buns are one of my family’s favorite. It originated in China. It is locally called as “rousong” also known as meat wool, meat floss, pork floss, beef floss or pork sung. Is a dried meat product with a light and fluffy texture similar to coarse cotton. If you’re adventurous you can also make your own pork floss but for this recipe, I used store-bought pork floss. You can buy this at any Asian grocery shops. You can enjoy these savory breads any time of the day. And will surely put a smile on your face.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips on how to make Pork Floss Buns.
- Just like on our Bread Roll post, All ingredients (butter, eggs etc.) should be in room temperature.
- Make sure to check for the expiry of the yeast.
- When using dry active yeast make sure that it is foamy after adding water. If not discard and make new one.
- Add salt after mixing all ingredients or if you already have a dough as to not affect the activation of the yeast.
Pork Floss Buns
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 3 tbsp powdered milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp active dry yeast or instant yeast
- 1 ½ cup lukewarm water (or milk addmore if needed)
- 3 tbsp soften butter (let butter soften in room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 500 grams pork floss (store bought)
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
For baking dough
- If you are using dry active yeast, you need to activate by adding 1/2 cup of lukewarm water and set aside for 5 minutes or when bubbles form. If you are using instant yeast you can directly add to dry ingredients.2 tsp active dry yeast or instant yeast, 1 ½ cup lukewarm water
- In a mixing bowl put bread flour, powdered milk, sugar and mix well together. (if you are using instant yeast, you can add it with the rest of the dry ingredients).3 1/2 cups bread flour, 3 tbsp powdered milk, 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- When the yeast mixture is activated (bubbles forming on top of mixture), add the egg and pour in with the dry ingredients.1 large egg
- Using a stand mixer with the hook attachment, mix everything in low speed until well incorporated.
- Then add butter and salt and continue beating in low speed for 5 mins. When the butter mixed well with the dough continue beating in medium speed until your dough becomes soft and elastic.3 tbsp soften butter, 1/4 tsp salt
- Removed dough from mixing bowl then place it in another bowl greased with cooking oil and let it rise for 1 hour or depending on the humidity.
- When the dough doubled in size you know you achieved a good rise. Dump the dough on the table or counter and punch the dough to release the air/gas inside.
- Divide the dough in two equal parts. Set aside one part and cover with dry kitchen towel.
- With the other dough, Flatten with a rolling pin and roll into a log shape and cut into small equal pieces (40 grams of dough) or approx. the size of a medium tomato.
- Take one piece from the that you just cut and roll it into a shape of an elongated ball. Do this procedure to the dough you set aside.
- Place all the dough on a baking tray with parchment paper and let it rise for 20 minutes. While waiting you can pre-heat the oven (375°F or 180°C°).
- Before baking apply eggwash (1 beaten egg + 1 tbsp milk) and poke the top of dough with fork.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes depending on what oven you are using or until golden brown. then let cool down
For filling and topping
- While waiting for the bread to cool. Mix the condensed milk and mayonnaise. Taste if sweetness and sourness is okay with you.1/2 cup condensed milk, 1/2 cup mayonaise
- Take a bread bun and slit in the middle but not cutting the bread in half. spread the mayonnaise mixture inside and on top of the bun.
- Get preferred amount of floss and put on top of the bun. Do this procedure with the remaining buns. C’est fini. Serve and Enjoy500 grams pork floss
- If your dough is dry try to add little by a little amount of water or milk.Because in every country we have different types of flour.