Pork bistek, also known as “Filipino pork steak” is a popular dish in the Philippines. A pork recipe that features both tender and juicy pork in a tasty sauce, this dish is perfect for a quick and easy meal.
I often get cravings for Filipino food and one of my favorite dishes is pork bistek. I usually cook this during weekends because it takes a little time to cook. The great thing about this dish is that it’s easy to make and all the ingredients are readily available at your local grocery store.
This is a dish similar to Filipino beef steak but made of pork. Pork Bistek is one of the most common meat dishes in the Philippines. The secret to this dish is the sauce which is a mixture of savory sauces, citrus juices, seasonings and onion. This sauce gives the pork a nice tangy flavor that makes this dish the perfect alternative to steak.
What is Bistek?
Bistek is the local version of Spanish “bistec” which means “steak.” The word is commonly used to refer to various dishes that are made with steak-like cuts of meat. Since the recipe uses pork, pork chops to be precise, the dish is known as “pork bistek.” Over the years, pork bistek has become one of the most popular dishes in the Philippines and for good reason – it’s delicious!
Notes On Some Ingredients
How To Serve And Store
You May Also Like
- 6 pieces pork chops (bone-in, approx. quarter inch thick.)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (or calamansi, vinegar.)
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 large onion (cut into rings. 1/2 for sautéing. 1/2 to be added later. )
- 1/2 cup water
- Wash pork chops thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels. Cut 4-5 slits along the meaty edge of the meat to avoid curling when frying.6 pieces pork chops
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, lemon juice, salt, garlic, pepper and sugar.1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/4 tsp ground pepper, 2 tsp sugar, 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1 tsp salt
- Place the pork chops in the bowl with soy sauce mixture and massage the meat with the marinating sauce. Once all pieces are coated, marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat cooking oil in a wide pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork chops and cook for about 2 to 4 minutes per side or until lightly browned.4 tbsp cooking oil
- Separate the garlic from the marinating sauce using a strainer. The garlic will be used for sautéing. Set aside the marinating sauce for later use.
- Using the same pan and cooking oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant then sauté half of the onion rings until translucent.1 large onion
- Add the marinating sauce and water then bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust with seasoning if needed.1/2 cup water
- Tip in the cooked pork chops then cover pan with lid and simmer for 5 minutes or until tender. Remember to turn the meat halfway for an even cooking.
- Add remaining onion rings on top then cover with lid and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until slightly wilted.
- Remove from heat then transfer in a serving plate and garnish with fresh onion rings! Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!