Pad Thai is a stir-fried rice noodle dish commonly served as street food or at most restaurants in Thailand. If you love Thai food, this Pad Thai recipe is going to knock your socks off! This recipe has everything, from shrimp, chicken, tofu, and egg! A sure hit with family and friends!
This stir fry rice noodle recipe has been with me for a long time. It’s one of our favorite Asian take-out just like Charlie Chan chicken pasta. One thing I like about this recipe is that you can customize the ingredients to your liking and will still be tasty!
It’s a cracker of a dish. Easy, packed with flavor and fully balanced. Love cooking something like this on a weeknight. The combination of tender wok-fired rice noodles, coated in a savory, sweet and tangy sauce makes for an incredible meal.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Pad Thai
- Rice noodles need to soak in hot water beforehand. It can be bought in Asian stores or found in the Asian section in most grocery stores.
- As is true for all stir-fries, the wok or skillet needs to be really hot.
- 200 grams dry rice stick noodles (you can also use semi cooked rice noodles)
- 300 grams shrimps (peeled and de-veined)
- ½ cup fresh tofu (cut in strips)
- ½ cup chicken breast (cut in strips)
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 medium eggs
- ¼ cup peanuts (crushed)
- 1 cup beansprouts
- 1 tbsp chili flakes (optional)
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- chives or scallions (for garnish (optional))
Pad Thai sauce
- 4 tbsp tamarind paste (concentrate)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar (or palm sugar)
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup water
Pre-mix the Pad Thai sauce.
- In a small bowl. Mix all ingredients and adjust taste according to your preference.
Making the Pad Thai
- If you are using dry rice stick noodles, soak the noodle in hot water for about 5 to 10 minutes. Do not over-soak or it will break when you stir fry. It should be edible yet firm. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp cooking oil in a wok or skillet. Beat the eggs in a bowl and fry omelette style. Cut in strips. Set aside
- Using same wok/skillet, cook the tofu until golden then set aside. Next fry the shrimps and set aside as well. Add 2 tbsp of cooking oil to the wok/skillet and stir fry until cooked through. Add the onions and stir for a minutes. Then add chopped garlic until fragrant and onions are translucent.
- Drain the water from the rice noodles and transfer to the wok/skillet with the chicken and stir. Pour in the pre-mixed pad thai sauce and stir again until noodle strands are coated. Add bean sprouts and toss until combined.
- Taste the sauce and adjust with seasoning if needed. Then add the strips of egg, shrimps, tofu, chives, peanuts and chili flakes. Mix together and let simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer in a serving dish and garnish with scallions or more peanuts if you fancy. Bon Appetit!