This no bake ube cake recipe will let you feast on a decadent purple yam cake without using an oven or steamer. Great as a snack or dessert after a hearty meal that is loaded with ube flavor!
Today is my husband’s birthday and of course this calls for cake! I could have baked a proper one with cake layers and frosting but I was really short on time. Luckily, I have different recipes for making cake and this no bake cake procedure is a lifesaver.
We Filipinos have a soft spot for purple yam or ube whether as an ube jam or ube biko. So it’s only natural that we also have ube cake. Unlike other cake recipes though, this is a no bake cake using lady finger cookies and ube extract.
Filipino Purple Yam Cake
This vibrant purple hued cake of the Philippines takes on many variations. Ube condensed milk cake with ube yema frosting and ube cheesecake are just some of these variations. The most popular and commercially made is the cake from Red Ribbon. This cake usually comes in a traditional round, sheet cake, or roll cake form, and is made using a chiffon cake recipe.
Is It A Cake Or Ube Tiramisu?
Well, tiramisu is a form of cake after all. This cake recipe although similar in process uses different ingredients and has no eggs in the cream. Unlike traditional tiramisu, which is a coffee-flavored Italian dessert, the cake taste like purple yam with a hint of coconut flavor. The lady finger biscuits which are really sponge cakes absorbs the flavors and moisture making the dessert soft and moist.
Notes On Some Ingredients
How To Make The Crumble Topping
To make the dessert more eye catching, I made a crumble topping made from ube-dipped lady finger biscuits and un-dipped biscuits.
How to Serve And Store
You May Also Like
No Bake Ube Cake
- 2 packs of 10 lady finger biscuits
- 250 grams mascarpone
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp ube flavoring
- Trim the lady finger biscuits in order to fit the baking pan without overlapping if needed.2 packs of 10 lady finger biscuits
- In a bowl, prepare dipping mixture by mixing together coconut milk and ube flavoring. Set aside.1 cup coconut milk, 2 tbsp ube flavoring
- In another bowl, place mascarpone cheese in a mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer until creamy.250 grams mascarpone, 1 cup whipping cream, 1/2 cup condensed milk
- Add whipping cream and beat again in high speed until soft peak. Tip in condensed milk and continue beating in medium-high speed until stiff peak. Set aside.
- To assemble, Dip lady finger biscuits in dipping mixture for 2-3 seconds on each side then lay ube-dipped biscuits at the bottom of the pan until bottom is completely covered.
- You can use excess biscuits from trimming to fill in the gaps.
- Apply a layer of mascarpone cream on top of the biscuits and spread evenly. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the cake is level with the top of the baking pan.
- Cover top of the pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 3-5 hours or until it sets. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!