Guinilu is a Filipino cold drink that brings back fond memories of summer back home. Vendors with carts lining up at the gates of schools would sell this cool drink. The Kapampangan version of this drink includes coconut milk with red jello which makes the drink pink in color. Other variants of Ginilu or Guinumis as other would call it have pinipig (puff rice). This refreshing cooler is a perfect combo for bibingki or egg pie.
This cold drink is popular especially on Good Friday! A good thirst quencher!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Guinilu
- ICE! lots of ice!
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar add more if needed
- 2 bars red gelatin agar-agar
- In a pot, boil 5 cups of water and cut and add the red gelatin. Let cook until gelatine dissolves.
- Transfer in a rectangular pyrex dish and let cool down or until it’s has a firm elastic consistency (it should be wiggly/jiggly). When it’s firm, cut into cubes.
- Prepare your pitcher, add cold water, coconut milk, jelly cubes and sugar. Stir and taste to adjust sweetness.
- Serve in a glass with lots of ice! Bon Appetit!