Tasty churro ube cheesecake bars topped with cinnamon and sugar are the perfect dessert or snack! Flaky and sweet churro bars loaded with ube flavor and cream cheese are a family favorite. We’re head over heels with these treats, I bet you will too!
Thanks to my sponsor, Ubeness, for supplying the free product to help me write this post today!
When you get a whiff of cinnamon or purple yam in my kitchen, you know you’re in for a treat. I usually make the more common churro cheesecake but I decided to spice it up by incorporating purple yam or ube. Using Ubeness ube extract, I was able to bring authentic ube flavor to the churro cheesecake. If you enjoy churros, cheesecake and purple yam, this is the perfect fusion of your favorite desserts!
What are churros?
I usually enjoy churro with a hot cup of chocolate drink. These fried cylinder shape pastry dough topped with cinnamon sugar are sold at Christmas villages in Paris during holidays. Dipping churros in chocolate or caramel sauce are usual for this Portuguese/Spanish snacks.
How to make?
For the churro part, you can use store bought puff pastry available in groceries near you. You can also make your own by trying my homemade rapid puff pastry.
When making the ube cheesecake, I used the same process to make the blueberry cheesecake. Instead of using vanilla extract, I used ube extract from Ubeness.
Additional tips for best results
Do not over-whisk batter to avoid cracks after baking the cheesecake.
All ingredients should be in room temperature so they incorporate easily.
Before baking, pastry must be cold and the oven must be hot. Make sure the pastry feels cold and firm and make sure your oven is preheated so that the minute it goes in, the butter releases steam and lifts all those beautiful layers.
The dough can also be frozen. It will keep for several weeks in the freezer, tightly wrapped. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Other dessert recipes you may like
Fresh strawberry doughnuts are a stunner! Inspired by “The Donut Man” famous donuts in L.A.
Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are just incredible! Soft and moist cupcakes coated with sweet and tangy taste in every bite!
Churro Ube Cheesecake
for puff pastry
- 2 rolls store-bought puff pastry
- homemade rapid puff pastry (see my recipe on notes below)
For ube cheesecake batter
- 300 grams cream cheese (softened in room temperature)
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp yoghurt (optional)
- 1 ½ tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp ube extract (add more according to preference)
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp cinnamon powder
- Pre heat oven at 180°C/356°F. Spray baking pan (20cm x 20cm) with non-stick spay or brush with butter. Set aside
Preparing cinnamon topping
- In a small bowl mix cinnamon powder and sugar. Set aside.
Making the ube cheesecake batter
- In a mixing bowl, tip in cream cheese and beat with hand mixer or whisk until creamy. Add eggs one at a time while whisking until fully incorporated.
- Add sugar, yoghurt, flour and ube extract then whisk until fully incorporated or no traces of flour left. Set aside
- Take the prepared baking pan and sprinkle a thin layer of cinnamon sugar on the bottom of the pan.
- Place a layer of puff pastry on top of the cinnamon sugar then pour ube cheesecake batter. Spread evenly using a spatula.
- Place another layer of puff pastry on top. Brush with butter then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar making sure to cover all surface.
- Bake in pre heated oven for 40 – 45 minutes at 180°C/356°F.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before chilling in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes. Slice into bars and serve. Bon appetit!