Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Mousse might seem like an impossible baking feat, but it actually couldn’t be simpler to prepare! If you like caramel, you are going to fall in love with this flavorful salted caramel mousse top on the moist chocolate cake!
The caramel mousse has a light and luscious consistency while the cake is dense and moist. It makes for a really decadent dessert that everyone will enjoy! Even my husband, who’s not really into anything sweet, loved it. That is why I opted for salted caramel, it gives just the right contrast.
I used it as a filling and topping for my homemade chocolate cake or cupcakes with fantastic results! It is my new favorite filling or topping choice for sure. This delicious dessert is easier than you think and something you can try yourself.
What is Mousse?
Mousse has a light texture that comes from whipping air into the mixture. It gets its airy consistency by folding whipped egg whites or whipped cream into the base mixture. Dessert mousses are typically flavored with chocolate, coffee, or caramel and sometimes stabilized using gelatin.
How to make Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Mousse
To make the chocolate cake, you can refer to my Choco Butternut Loaf recipe. As for the caramel mousse, I start off by heating whipped cream using the double boiler method. Simply fill a small pot with one or two inches of water then place the bowl with whipped cream and turn on your burner to a simmer. Add white chocolate and let sit for 10 minutes then stir until chocolate melts.
Let it cool down then place in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour. Beat the cream until creamy and fluffy then add salted caramel sauce and fold in gently until well incorporated. See the photo above for reference. When done, just spread it on top of the chocolate cake and enjoy!
Tips for Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Mousse
- Use a 25cm x 14cm x 6cm disposable aluminum pan to bake the cake in. You don’t have to remove the cake from the pan and this helps to keep the mousse in place when you spread it.
- If you can’t find bottled caramel sauce, you can use salted caramel chips, but plain caramel chips would work well also. Microwave in a bowl 283 grams salted caramel chips (or your caramel chips of choice) and 1/2 cup heavy cream.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You might also like:
Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Mousse
For chocolate cake (this makes 2 cakes using 2pcs 25cmx14cmx6cm aluminum pans)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Dutch cocoa powder (not the drinking cocoa powder)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ tsp coffee
For salted caramel mousse
- 100 ml whipped cream
- 85 grams white chocolate
- ¼ cup salted caramel sauce (add more according to preference)
Making the chocolate cake
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Prepare and grease 25cmx14cmx6cm aluminum pans.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Add eggs, milk, and oil the whisk together.
- In a small bowl mix hot water and coffee and pour in to the batter. Whisk until well incorporated but do not over-mix. NOTE: batter should be runny.
- Pour in the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes. When done baking, remove from the oven and let it cool down completely. Set aside.
Making the salted caramel mousse
- Boil water in a medium-sized pot,
- In a stainless or heat resistant bowl (bigger than the pot), pour whipping cream and place the bowl on the pot with boiling water.
- When the whipping cream starts to heat-up, remove from heat and pour in the white chocolate chips. Let sit for 5 minutes or until chocolate is completely melted. When chocolate is melted, mix to incorporate. Let it cool down and place in the fridge to chill for an hour.
- Take the chilled whipped cream from the fridge and beat using a hand mixer until soft-stiff peak.
- Pour the salted caramel sauce and gently fold-in to the whipped cream until incorporated.
- Evenly spread the salted caramel mousse on top of the chocolate cake and smoothen with a spatula.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve. Bon Appetit.