Chicken Parmigiana Recipe or chicken parmesan is a flavorful chicken dish great for weeknight dinner. With crispy chicken thighs, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce.
Why settle for fried chicken when you can go the extra step to make delicious chicken parmesan! This chicken Parmigiano recipe adds another level of flavor to crispy fried chicken that everybody will love.
I love fried chicken especially if its super crisp and moist inside. Chicken parm on the other hand makes pan fried chicken extra special for weeknight dinners. The additional step of topping the chicken with marinara sauce and parmesan-mozzarella cheese then baking is totally worth it!
What cut of chicken to use?
I used de-boned chicken thigh for this recipe for a moist and tasty chicken. Chicken thighs have fat that gives it a richer taste. You can also use chicken breast which also works great for the recipe but doesn’t give an intense flavor like thighs. It’s easier to work with though because you do not have to remove any bones from it.
Making Filipino marinara sauce
Like with spaghetti, Filipinos enjoy their sauce with a hint of sweetness. This simple Filipino-style marinara sauce fits the bill and it’s simple to make. You can also use store bought sauce or tomato basil sauce if you fancy.
- 1 can/200g tomato sauce
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup basilchopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sugar add more according to preference
- pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
To make, heat oil in a sauce pan then sauté onion and garlic. Mix-in tomato sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Tip in basil, dried oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir to distribute ingredients then simmer for another 3 minutes then taste and season if needed.
How to serve
You can serve chicken Parmigiano in a bed of buttered pasta, steamed rice, vegetables or salad. Sprinkle some chopped fresh parsley on top of the chicken parmesan to make it more inviting before setting it on the kitchen table.
Tips for an amiable experience
- Shake off excess flour after dredging chicken in cornstarch to give a better texture and to avoid making the cooking oil murky.
- Fry the chicken in batches and do not over-crowd in a pan to maintain optimal heat of oil
- When done frying. Lay the fried chicken cutlets on paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Use Panko breadcrumbs found in any supermarket or grocery stores for crispier chicken.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You may also like
- Max’s style Fried Chicken is a copycat fried chicken recipe of the popular dish. Juicy and tender chicken with tasty, golden brown and crisp skin!
- Garlic Parmesan chicken wings slathered with thick and creamy garlic parmesan sauce. Like buffalo wings, this is another way to enjoy chicken wings.
- Crispy Breaded Chicken Cutlets with tender, juicy chicken! This recipe is quick and easy yet undeniably delicious! Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
Try this Chicken Parmigiana Recipe with homemade Filipino marinara sauce and level up your fried chicken dish! Adieu MIA
Chicken Parmigiana Recipe
- 6 pcs chicken thigh (deboned and skin removed)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup potato starch (or cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 5 cups cooking oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 cup marinara sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 cup quick melt cheese (or mozzarella cheese)
- Debone chicken slices then remove skin and wash thoroughly.6 pcs chicken thigh
- Pat dry with kitchen towel and place in a bowl then season chicken with salt and pepper.1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
- Crack and beat egg then pour into the chicken. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.1 egg
- In a shallow bowl, mix in potato starch, all purpose flour and Panko bread crumbs.1/4 cup potato starch, 1/4 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- In a large skillet or frying pan, Heat oil over high medium heat. Take a piece of chicken and dip in flour mixture to coat chicken on all sides.5 cups cooking oil
- Tap chicken to remove excess coating then place in the frying pan. Cook chicken in batches for 5 minutes then transfer in a plate lined with kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- Arrange fried chicken in a baking dish then pour sauce on top until surface is covered. Sprinkle parmesan on top of sauce then the fresh mozzarella cheese.1 1/2 cup marinara sauce, 1 cup parmesan cheese, 1 cup quick melt cheese
- Bake in a pre heated oven for 20 minutes or cheese have turned golden. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!