Chicken Cordon Bleu – Tender chicken, slices of ham, and cheese rolled and breaded. Pan-fried to crispy golden perfection and topped with a rich dijon cream sauce!
Make this Easy Filipino style Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe for dinner tonight! It taste amazingly delicious, and the sauce is just heavenly!
I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve made this chicken dish. I usually serve it with my Potatoes Au Gratin and Potatoes with Herbs, but some nights I just boil vegetables or steamed rice. I’m all about keeping dinner easy and this recipe is one of the easiest!
This chicken recipe would be a great dish to impress with! It involves pounding the chicken and rolling the chicken with ham and cheese inside. Pretty straight forward yeah?
Why make it?
This may be a super simple recipe, but it’s still pretty and dressy if you want it to be. It’s the ultimate recipe to make for family and friends and it’s sure to please even the pickiest eaters. The sauce is just wonderful creamy and I cannot get enough. Serve hot, and wait for compliments.
But be careful the melted cheese will be deceptively hot and could easily burn if eaten immediately. This makes 9-10 servings, although hearty eaters might eat 2 slices LOL!
Deep fried chicken cordon bleu
This method of cooking the cordon bleu rather then oven- baked in my opinion gives the dish great texture and awesome flavors. Extra crispy crust with moist and soft chicken plus creaminess from the cheese. Frying also allows the dish to seal quickly eliminating the need for toothpicks if cooking in a an oven.
How to serve
Let the cordon bleu rest and cool down a bit after cooking. Slice the roll depending on how thick you want them and arrange in a serving plate. Top with dijon cream sauce and sprinkle some parsley if you fancy. Serve with sides of salad or steamed rice.
Tips for Chicken Cordon Bleu
- For quick dredge method simply Dunk chicken in egg flour mixture (combined in the same bowl), then in breadcrumbs.
- If unsure or the chicken inside is still not thoroughly cooked. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 5 minutes at 120° C / 248°F until chicken is evenly cooked.
- Pound chicken breast with meat tenderizer or meat mallet until flat and thin. You can also use a rolling pin in the absence of a mallet.
- You can make it a day ahead and place in the freezer until ready to cook. If frozen overnight, thaw chicken first in room temperature before deep frying.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You may also like
Max’s style Fried Chicken is a copycat fried chicken recipe of the popular dish. Juicy and tender chicken with tasty, golden brown and crisp skin!
Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken) have earned its spot as one of the tastiest fried chicken out there! Ultra crispy and tender juicy boneless chicken thighs that you can’t get enough of.
Chicken Parmigiana Recipe or chicken parmesan is a flavorful chicken dish great for weeknight dinner.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
For Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 3 pcs large chicken breast (no skin)
- 3 pcs ham
- 6 pieces slice cheese or swiss cheese
- 1 tbsp salt (for brining)
- 1 tbsp sugar (for brining)
- 2 cups water (for brining)
For First Coating
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cups panko bread crumbs
For Second Coating
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cups panko bread crumbs
For Dijon creamy sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper (for seasoning)
Making Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Wash and dry the chicken breasts. Use a knife and start from the narrow end of the lobe and slices halfway through the thickness of the chicken, cutting it almost all the way through. About 1/2 inch from the end of the breast, stop cutting and spreads the breast open like a book.3 pcs large chicken breast
- In a bowl, make the brining solution by pouring water then adding the salt and sugar. Mix well until granules dissolves.1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar, 2 cups water
- Lightly pound the chicken with meat mallet to make it thinner. Place in a bowl with brining solution and brine for at least 1 hour.
- Lay the chicken on a working surface and place a slice of ham on top of the chicken, then the cheese and roll, setting them aside seam side down.3 pcs ham, 6 pieces slice cheese or swiss cheese
- Prepare first coating ingredients in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken into flour first making sure all surface are coated, then into the beaten egg and lastly in panko breadcrumbs.½ cup all purpose flour, 1 egg, 1 cups panko bread crumbs
- Wrap the coated chicken breast in sheet of plastic wrap and place in the freezer for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Remove from freezer and let thaw if frozen overnight. Second coat with egg then breadcrumbs.1 egg, 1 cups panko bread crumbs
- Heat enough oil in a deep pan over medium heat and fry cordon bleu until golden brown. Serve with creamy dijon sauce! Bon Appetit!
Making Creamy Dijon Sauce
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp flour
- Add half the milk and whisk until the flour mixture is blended in.2 1/2 cups milk
- Add remaining milk and mustard. Cook for 3 minutes, whisking constantly until thickened. It will thicken as it cools. Season with salt and pepper.1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, salt and pepper
- Remove from heat and serve with cordon bleu.