A hearty Beef Caldereta with melt-in-your-mouth, tender chunks of beef and vegetables simmered in rich, spicy tomato sauce. You’ll love how the sauce of this beef stew recipe is thickened to perfection!
Beef Caldereta or Kaldereta with cheese is not a difficult dish to make. Like Menudo and Chiken Asado, you can make this beef stew in a jiffy! It may take some patience for the beef to cook until soft and tender but it’s totally worth it.
This beef dish is so tasty and delicious with some earthy aroma from the bay leaves. Furthermore, the meat was so tender and flavorful my husband had this satisfied smile on his first bite.
What is Caldereta
Caldereta is a popular Filipino beef, goat, or chicken stew dish. This traditional dish of tender meat, potatoes, olives, and carrots stewed in spicy tomato sauce is like mechado but with the addition of cheese and liver spread for a gravy-like sauce. It is visually appealing and aromatic which will surely entice the whole family.
It is usually cooked and served during special occasions such as birthday parties, town fiestas, and wedding receptions. Other types of meat can also be used to cook this dish. Kalderetang Kambing which makes use of chevon or goat meat. Pork or chicken can also be used to make this hearty dish. This beef stew is so flavorful that it will satisfy the taste buds of most picky eaters. Moreover, it’s very nutritious because of the healthy vegetables included.
Beef cut options
I used beef short ribs for this recipe for a more fiesta-like dish that I’m familiar with when still living in the Philippines. You can change what beef cut to use and here are some suggestions that work great!
- Beef chuck
- Beef brisket
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Beef Caldereta
- Frying the potatoes and carrots will give your veggies a good texture and visual appeal.
- Add water as needed when simmering the beef but add small amounts gradually to avoid thinning the sauce too much.
- Sear the beef before slow cooking. The browned surface gives a rich flavor at the end.
- Cooking the beef in a pressure cooker can greatly cut the cooking time. If you don’t have a pressure cooker or a bit hesitant to use one, just be patient with the cooking time.
You may also like:
Beef pares – kanto style is a flavorful beef stew accompanied with hot clear broth an garlic fried rice.
Gyudon recipe is surprisingly easy yet creates tasty and satisfying meal. Thin, tender slices of beef and onions with flavorful sauce sitting on steamed rice all in a bowl.
For beef marinate
- 1 kilo beef short ribs (washed thoroughly and pat dried)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
For making the caldereta
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 medium potatoes (cubed)
- 2 medium carrots (cubed)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium red onion (cut in wedges)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 200 grams tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 2 tbsp liver spread
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 pcs red chili (or add according to preference)
- 1 medium bell pepper (sliced)
- ½ cup green peas
- ½ cup grated cheese
- In a large bowl, place beef short ribs. Add soy sauce, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix together until beef is fully coated with marinate sauce. Marinate for 30 minutes.3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 ½ tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook potatoes and carrots until lightly browned or for approximately 5 minutes. Transfer in a plate and set aside.2 tbsp cooking oil, 2 medium potatoes, 2 medium carrots
- In the same pot and oil, add butter and let it completely melt. Sauté garlic and onion until translucent.1 tbsp butter, 1 medium red onion, 3 cloves garlic
- Add tomato paste and tomato sauce then stir to incorporate. Let it simmer for a minute then add marinated beef short ribs and save marinating sauce for later use. Coat beef with tomato sauce and let it sear for for a minute.1 tsp tomato paste, 200 grams tomato sauce
- Add marinating sauce, water, and bay leaves. Give it a quick stir then cover pot with lid. Cook for 1 hour or until beef is soft and tender.3 cups water, 3 pcs bay leaves
- Add liver spread and mix to incorporate. Add chilis, sugar, salt, bell pepper, green peas. Stir to distribute ingredients evenly.2 tbsp liver spread, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 3 pcs red chili, 1 medium bell pepper, ½ cup green peas
- Tip in cooked potatoes and carrots then cover with lid and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add grated cheese, stir and cook until cheese melts.½ cup grated cheese
- Transfer in a serving dish and enjoy while warm. Bon appetit!