Beef Caldereta is a popular Filipino beef stew dish. This traditional dish is cooked with tender beef, potatoes, and carrots stewed in tomato sauce. It is visually appealing and aromatic will surely entice the whole family.
Kaldereta is usually cooked and served during special occasions such as birthday parties, town fiestas, and wedding receptions. Other types of meat can also be used to cook this dish. There is “Kalderetang Kambing”, which makes use of chevon or goat meat. Pork kaldereta is another version that makes use of pork. This beef stew is so flavorful that it will satisfy the taste buds of most picky eaters. Moreover, it’s very nutritious because of the healthy vegetables included.
Kaldereta is not a difficult dish to cook. Like my Menudo and Chiken Asado, you can make this dish in a jiffy! There are a few pointers to remember though. First is never to scrimp on the amount of chopped garlic, onions, and tomatoes. The second is to add water little by little during the cooking to avoid thinning the sauce too much. This Beef Kaldereta dish was so good and delicious. Furthermore, the meat was so tender and full of flavor. My family and I enjoyed this wonderful dish for lunch on Sunday.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Beef Caldereta
- Frying the bell peppers, potato, and carrots will give your veggies a good texture.
- 1 kilo beef brisket cut in cubes
- 1 large potato sliced in cubes
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 3 pcs red chili or according to preference
- 1 ½ cup water
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Heat a cooking pot and then pour 3 tablespoons cooking oil. Fry the carrots and potato for 3 to 5 minutes. Put these on a plate and then set aside.
- Using the same oil in the pot (add more if necessary), saute onion first until translucent and then garlic until fragrant.
- Add the beef. Cook in medium heat until it turns light brown.
- Pour in tomato paste and mix with beef until all pieces are coated.
- Pour –in tomato sauce and water. Stir and let simmer for 3 minutes with pan covered.
- Add water and continue to cook on low heat until the beef gets tender. Add more water if needed.
- Add some salt and pepper to season. Put the pan-fried potato and carrots in the pot. Stir.
- Add the bell peppers. Cover the pot. Continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add the red chili pepper. Stir and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve. Bon Appetit.